New Receiver To Replace Damaged Anthem MRX 700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tartan Man, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Tartan Man

Tartan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,
    I’m on the look out for a new AV Receiver to replace my faulty Anthem MRX 700. I was really impressed by the Anthem when it was first installed by the “Home Cinema Centre” engineer but after 4 years I started losing speaker channels starting with the “Front Right” then the rear “Right Dipole”, then Subwoofer and finally the “Centre” speaker. I’ve only got 2 speakers left running which is the furthest speakers away from where I sit. I’ve tried swapping the speaker connections around to make sure it’s not the speakers themselves. I’m looking at spending up to and around £2000 if required for a new receiver which I hope will give me a great sound experience.The receiver would be 80% movies and 20% music over my iPhone.
    I’m very wary of buying an Anthem again due to poor reliability in my opinion with the added hassle and expense of shipping it to Canada for a repair should it breakdown again.
    My speaker setup is as follows: 2 of Kef R700 floorstanders,1 of Kef R600c Centre speaker,2 of Kef R800ds Dipole surrounds and a 15” Paradigm Studio Subwoofer.
    I’m also looking at adding 2 of Kef R50 Atmos speakers to the mix in the coming months.
    I would greatly appreciate some advice on what receivers I should be considering. I’m looking to get around 6 or more years use before upgrading again so if it had as much “Future Proof” technology as is possible in the world of ever changing technology that would be great.
    I see Richer Sounds offer a 6 year guarantee (for a price) which would give me peace of mind.
    Before I jump in is there any thoughts on what I could try on my Anthem to confirm it is indeed faulty and not just settings that have been changed?, or does it sound kaput?.
    Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Tartan Man

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,354
    That does sound bad luck. I would try checking the speaker cables if you haven't already done so. Maybe just buying a new length of speaker cable and fitting banana plugs and using that to check all the speakers and amp connections in turn.

Also, factory resetting the AVR might help everything spring back to life. But you will lose all your settings, so back them up first if the Anthem gives you that option.

If none of that works, you could use power amps, if the pre-outs of the Anthem are still functional but it's just the internal power amps that are faulty.

3. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    If you're adding atmos speakers then you'll need an amp that decodes atmos signals. There's a lot of multi channel amps on the market around £2k that do this - but if you're expecting the same or similar sound quality and room correction then it's hard to beat Anthem or Arcam (which both have their good points and "fair" points). Unfortunately they're a little more expensive than your budget.

I chose Anthem and I'm very happy with the gear - an MRX 720 or 1120 would be a suitable replacement for you. But if you have to stick at circa £2k then look at Denon, Marrantz, and Yamaha. I don't particularly like Pioneer or Onkyo but it's really down to personal preference and tuning requirements. Best thing is to get out there and audition a few to find out what you like the sound of, and which room correction you get on best with.

4. Tartan Man

Tartan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone for your kind help and advice. I’m going to demo the Yamaha 3070 and Denon 6400 to get a better idea. Unfortunately no matter how much I liked it I can’t stretch for the latest Anthem, and even if I could i’d be very reluctant due to past experience for the price I paid.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Yamaha or Denon?, would they be powerful enough for my system without being maxed out?.Would these receivers be a massive step down in terms of sound quality compared to my Anthem?. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

5. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I've not heard the Denon, but I have auditioned a Yamaha 3060 (the previous model) last year and it was very powerful driving a bunch of Monitor Audio speakers with excellent sound quality (very crisp and clear with movies). I had a much older Yamaha receiver years ago and regretted having to let it go it was so good - I'd always shortlist Yamaha. Pioneer I just found too tinny for my ears though they have apparently got better more recently - but I hated the menus and unwieldy eq software. My old 11.2.4 Onkyo was powerful but unrefined listening wise - the room eq and menus were acceptable for the price but nothing special - the manuals were awful.
    But it's all subjective cos we all hear differently, so the best thing is to do what you're doing and get some auditions under your belt. Make sure you get a reciever with enough pre-outs or amplifiers to accept atmos like Rambles mentioned. Then if there is a question over power you can add external amps later. But I don't think you'll have a problem with Denon, and certainly not with Yamaha. Nice speaker set btw. :)

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,354
    I have owned a Denon and a Yamaha AVR. I still have a Yamaha in a second room.

If I were buying now for a 5.1.2 set-up I would go for a Denon.

The Yamaha's have good build quality, lots of features, and their own DSP settings, so you get a lot of upmixing and sound processing options. The room correction, YPAO, is quite basic, plus there is an issue with power output. On bench tests it drives 5 speakers quite respectfully at around 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, but when you add 2 more speakers, the power output drops to around 50 watts per channel. Not a problem if you are planning on using external amplification.

The Denon has better room correction with Audyssey, and with the app, it is very customisable. Plus the power output is more consistent, so it should manage 100 watts into 5 speakers, and only drop by 10 watts or so if driving 7.

7. Tartan Man

Tartan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone for the advice,as always it’s greatly appreciated. After reading everyone’s thoughts it certainly gave me food for thought on what way to go. I’ve now started to think if i like either the Yamaha or Denon (dependening on the demo) and bought one of them I could purchase a decent power amp further down the line when more funds became available if I felt my system was underpowered. Unfortunately I’ve never had any dealings with power amps and wouldn’t know where to start or what to look for.Suddenly things have got a lot more complicated. Thanks again everyone.