1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New receiver + speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pinhead, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Pinhead

Pinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Looking to move into the home cinema club. Currently i have a 36" PD30, and im looking to purchase an AV receiver and speakers.

Budget for the receiver is around the £700-£800 mark. The 3 or 4 that seem to be the most popular are the Denon 3803, Pioneer AX3 and the Yamaha 1400 and 2400.

What i would like to know is, which receiver offers the best value for money? The Denon seems to have been around for ages, is it likely to be replaced by a newer model in the not to distant future?

The speakers i intend to go for are the Monitor Audio Silver range, S6 or S8, SLCR and S1. Would the MA's be a worthwhile partner to any of the above receivers? or does anybody have one of the above combinations, and can comment further? Of course if anyone has any other recommendations, please put them forward.

I know people will say to auditionfirst, but some initial comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks, and a happy new year to all.