1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New receiver + speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pinhead, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Pinhead

Pinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Looking to move into the home cinema club. Currently i have a 36" PD30, and im looking to purchase an AV receiver and speakers.

Budget for the receiver is around the £700-£800 mark. The 3 or 4 that seem to be the most popular are the Denon 3803, Pioneer AX3 and the Yamaha 1400 and 2400.

What i would like to know is, which receiver offers the best value for money? The Denon seems to have been around for ages, is it likely to be replaced by a newer model in the not to distant future?

The speakers i intend to go for are the Monitor Audio Silver range, S6 or S8, SLCR and S1. Would the MA's be a worthwhile partner to any of the above receivers? or does anybody have one of the above combinations, and can comment further? Of course if anyone has any other recommendations, please put them forward.

I know people will say to auditionfirst, but some initial comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks, and a happy new year to all.

2. Pinhead

Pinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops seem to have three threads up, can i delete two?

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'll start off.

Denon 3803 has been a benchmark for a while, but a replacement, the 3804 is likely to be announced at the CES show in Las Vegas in January. No one knows what new stuff is to expected.

Pioneer AX is another huge favourite here in UK, always 5stars loads of happy owners. Superb specs and sound.

With only around 3months availability Yamaha 1400 & 2400 is already a equal favourite with the 3803 and Harman Kardons and Pioneer Elite series in the US forums. I think since you can get the 1400 for £535 from Germany, rather than £720 in UK it is an immense value for money, with more features than Pioneer and Denon together, with a sound equalling them (according to the US owners).

Don't forget the Harman Kardons here, the new 5550 for £626 represents super kit for money. They are truly famous for being a powerhouse and having a tremendous sound quality but has difficulty to sound good with some speakers, e.g. with Kef Eggs, and it has the unique Logic7 sound and the 3separate level bass crossover filter settings.

Wasabi

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's to hoping the 3804 will be THX certified...

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why?

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    it's an extra badge on the front init!!

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might mean they employ some descent quality poweramps and power supplies in the 3804 compared to those in the 3803, which are extremely poor next to those of similarly priced Pioneers and Harmon Kardons and Marantz.

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    It would be nice if Denon were to launch a automatic room calibrator and a RS232C port as well, but I strongly doubt it.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they included Dolby DPLIIx and perhaps Circle Surround II, as Denon has launched a product for Dolby's latest Dolby Virtual Surround product and with Marantz and Denon having merged (and Marantz 7400 having Dolby DPLIIx and Circle Surround II). CSII maybe it is too late as the merger was only recently, so maybe the 2005 model, while DPLIIx is just a software upgrade.

Wasabi