1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New receiver some questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ayrshiredude, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am thinking of replacing my older Pioneer receiver for a new one and have been considering the Pioneer VSX-1015 as a possibility. I have some questions which I hope someone can help me with though.

I currently have a Pioneer VSX - D608 which is a US model that I have had for a few years now. I Using it with a set of Kef 2005 Eggs and a Pioneer DV 550 DVD player.

Am I likely to see a big difference in sound using this new receiver? OR is the difference going to be small. I have never really been that impressed when listening to Dolby Surround material and am hoping that the Prologic 2 will have a wider sound field as the old one sounds very narrow to me.

I also have a set of Pioneer Dobly Digital Headphones an notice that some (not the 1015) have a dolby headphone setting. Though I find the quality of these headphones to be excellent, I have never really been able to notice much in the way of surround sound, just very wide stereo. Is this because I am not using a Dolby Headphone amp? I though that connecting the headphone base station optically to the source it did the decoding.

Are there any similarly priced amp/receivers that I should be considering also, I did quite like the idea that this one is THX certified though not sure if at this price that makes a huge difference.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

2. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can no one offer any help or advice?

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the dolby headphone supposedly makes any standard set of headphones into surround sound, your headphones are much more advanced than this so it wouldnt help you!

as for the difference i have no idea :)