Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New receiver some questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ayrshiredude, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am thinking of replacing my older Pioneer receiver for a new one and have been considering the Pioneer VSX-1015 as a possibility. I have some questions which I hope someone can help me with though.

I currently have a Pioneer VSX - D608 which is a US model that I have had for a few years now. I Using it with a set of Kef 2005 Eggs and a Pioneer DV 550 DVD player.

Am I likely to see a big difference in sound using this new receiver? OR is the difference going to be small. I have never really been that impressed when listening to Dolby Surround material and am hoping that the Prologic 2 will have a wider sound field as the old one sounds very narrow to me.

I also have a set of Pioneer Dobly Digital Headphones an notice that some (not the 1015) have a dolby headphone setting. Though I find the quality of these headphones to be excellent, I have never really been able to notice much in the way of surround sound, just very wide stereo. Is this because I am not using a Dolby Headphone amp? I though that connecting the headphone base station optically to the source it did the decoding.

Are there any similarly priced amp/receivers that I should be considering also, I did quite like the idea that this one is THX certified though not sure if at this price that makes a huge difference.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

2. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can no one offer any help or advice?

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the dolby headphone supposedly makes any standard set of headphones into surround sound, your headphones are much more advanced than this so it wouldnt help you!

as for the difference i have no idea :)