1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Receiver: Denon 3805 vs Arcam 300 or 250

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by whattodo, Aug 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, (I guess) I have a short list my receiver selection.

Denon 3805
    Arcam 300
    Arcam 250.

I am in among them. :suicide: I need recommendation. Which one will be the best selection? I know Arcam is expensive than Denon. But reability is also important for me.

I listen %50 music and watch %50 movie.

New receiver recommendation (other than the list) will be welcomed.

Main: Axiom M22ti
    Surround: Axiom QS4
    Center:B&W VM1
    Sub:Definitive SubPro 60

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar dilema and last weekend I took the plunge. The shorlist I had was even longer. I would recommend listening to the sound from each of the players as they do sound different. Music is key for me and I went for the Arcam AVR300 based on (IMHO) the best sound in stereo and exc in surround. It doesn't have a couple of the bells and whistles that the Denon had, the main one being the auto setup, that said the company I bought from are installing / configuring it this week hopefully. The sound from the Arcam 250 was very close to the 300 but the extra power and the preouts mean that I should have it a little longer.

There are also a number of threads about poor service / build on the denons which was also important. This has got to last. I also bought the Arcam DV89 which has replaced both the DVD player and CD player.

Anway would recommend listening to them, old thread is here. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231627 Happy listening.

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With CEDIA coming, and with it comes new receivers from Pioneer(AX2 and AX4) and Denon (3806) i would say that you should wait a month to see what turns out to be.

Of course you can have the discontinued models for much less but new models will come with HDMI and as i heard transcoding/conversion of all analoge sources to HDMI so that you only get a cable out to your display

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    And remember that it shouldnt be too long before we start seeing the HD audio formats becoming available. (unless that is what CEDIA is in which case I now look a little silly)

If music is a priority for you then the Arcam will certainly be better for you than the Denon. For movies I must admit to prefering the Denon sound but no contest on music so..... Only you can answer how much you want to spend on the system and so whether to get the 250 or 300

5. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CEDIA is a tech exhibition in the US

6. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rotel RSX-1056. Better than the Denon for movies AND music. Not heard the Arcam AVR250 or AVR300 but prefer the Rotel sound to an Arcam pre/pro combo (costing a lot more) that I heard. Horses for courses though, lots of people love Arcam but I think Rotel stuff sounds better. Only your ears can really decide. The Rotel cuts down on features (but misses nothing you really need and is easy to set up) so all you're paying for is high quality 5 channel amplification. If you want 7 channel later you can always add an external amp.

7. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely agree, If I had bought based on the threads I would probably have gone for a Denon or Pioneer. After listening and rationalising what features I would actually use the Arcam (for me) was a clear winner. Anyone of us can say that ours is better than yours, but truth is they're all pretty good but slightly different. Obviously the Arcam is best though ( ;) )

8. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with all of you. Listening is very important, I know.

On the other hand, your experience is also very important.

About Rotel, yes it has good reputation but it is lack of some features. Because of that, I did not include it in my list.

wannabeav, auto setup is also very important for me. Some people recommend to use SPL meter and some people believe that auto set up feature is not worth to have.

9. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I would recomend denon having used it for a while, but ultimately a listening test should be the deciding factor for you.

I would not buy a new receiver now especially £800+ receiver, until a hd compatible one comes along . A new receiver should be able to handle dolby digital plus and DTS-HD.

10. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whattodo, I thought the auto setup would be good, but as you have said, their are mixed impressions on this. All the peeps say that a SPL should be used. I bought recently and they are bringing this gear to set it up, so not an issue for me at all. If spending this kind of money, then another few quid on a SPL is probably worth it if the dealer wont do it.

I'd also agree with Kumamoto to a certain extent. Trouble is there is always somethgin around the corner that will mean new tech or reduced prices on existing kit. Gotta jump in at some point, today seems as good as any.

11. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If music matters, the Arcam models, or Maranzt SR8500 / Rotel 1056

12. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read that Arcam is very good for 2 channel music. What is your experience with its surround music performance?

13. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    All of these 3 are... :thumbsup:

I would go for the Marantz... price/performance ratio and many discounts on net stores.

14. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,786
    With the exception of the 3806 which does not have Analogue to HDMI conversion. See this.

15. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't do it, new receiver. Oh my god. :eek:

16. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to start to introduce more units I would go with Falps suggestions of the Marantz 8500. Musical amp that can match the 3806 for features. Strip the features aside and i still preferred the arcam as music was important to me also

17. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,786
    I only mentioned the 3806 (out October in UK probably) as it is sonically the same as the 3805 AFAICT. With this unit just around the corner as a replacement for the 3805, in some respects it would be wise to wait either see the price of the 3806 (ostensibly $100 more than the 3805) or then snap up a discounted 3805. Apparently one US store has already started heavily discounting the 3805 to shift stock and make room for the 3806. Either way, IF the 3805 is a serious contender AND if one can wait until Denon's launch 2nd week September, I think the wait would be worth it.

I agree that there will always be new features around the corner to drool over, but if it were not for the fact that the 3806 is a replacement for the 3805, and assuming HDMI is not a real requirement ATM, I too would go for the 3805 now if the 3805 was going to be continued. As it is, why buy (@ current full selling price) a 3805 when within a month it will be replaced? Sure people buy "old" stock but usually at an attractive discount. It doesn't make commercial sense to do it now. Wait and see. If the 3806 is too much dosh then get a heavily discounted 3805.

18. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A few people trade their 3805 for the cheaper Marantz 7500, with better music and same ability for movies. That may say something about the 7500 / 8500 performence...

19. darkness1

darkness1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, i've posted this to the thread as i'm pondering how to improve my system for mainly music and considered the arcam avr250,300 too.
    My sys consists of Kef Q speaker
    Q4 fronts
    Qcompacts rears
    Q6c ctr
    ksw2500 sub kef
    Toshiba SD9500 dvd
    Yam A2 amp.

My worries are A, will the Arcam 250,300 be a massive improvement over the A2?
    Also if not will an high end integrated stereo amp like the arcam A90 using the A2 pre out be a better
    solution.
    Also is paying £1000+ on stereo amp worth the cash on the equipment i already have.

Anyhow hope someone can help?

20. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AVR300 sound is excellent, rest is "British" pur sang - meaning buggy, and less-than-excellent dynamics, so prepare for a separate final amp.
    Forget the AVR3805 if you're a music lover, it's just not good enough.
    Had a Marantz SR8500 for a short period, excellent sound (just sold).
    Now I have an SR9600, sounds even better and never heard cinema sound engulf me as this baby does!
    Good: Room EQ works very decently, still things improved after removing my ugly 100Hz room mode by the Behringer 24/96 DSP based EQ.
    You cannot make sharp notches on these on-amp EQ's and they have too few bands.
    Bad: appalling volume control: much too fine on the unit, much too jerky on ther remote + tendency to hang when pressed, almost blowing up the speakers!
    Strange though- STEREO sounds better than PURE DIRECT which is ever so slightly fuzzy...
    All in all- good receiver (should be at THIS price arrghh...).
    Using 5.1 + biamped fronts here- KEF Reference 203*2, 201*2 and 202c.
    DV-9500 dvd player, Shanling CD-T100C cd player.
    No video tried into the Marantz, got a scaler.

21. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wannabeav,

when you are saying,
    which one do you mean; stereo only or surround kind of music?

From movie sound point of view, what is the lack of AVR300?

22. Robosapien

Robosapien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to decide between the AVR-250, the SR-8500 and the Rotel RSX-1056 for over a month now. Everytime I think I've found the winner I read something that makes me doubt my decision.
    My needs are basic:
    A) Watch TV and be able to hear clear natural dialogue.
    B) Watch movies and be able to hear clear natural dialogue + good detailed surround sound.
    C) Listen to the occasional CD and not feel like I'm listening to a system that's worth 1/3 the price.
    D) Not spend more time trying to solve problems or hauling the receiver to and from the dealer for service than actually listening to the system.
    Fortunately the weather these days is beautiful so there's no rush. But fall is just around the corner, so once and for all - which one do I get?

23. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robo,

your basics are actually keys. Maybe our short-lists are little bit different but our feelings and the situation we are in the same.

24. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    3 good choices! I would say... Arcam but the 250 has no pre-outs (only the 300 and is too expensive...).
    1056 vs 8500... I would go for the 8500 because is available with great discounts and seems to be as good!

Mind you, I'm not a fan of expensive AV receivers, I myself would go for the Marantz 7500 with a good discount (but that's me)

25. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Whattodo. I mainly auditioned the kit in pure direct stereo mode, no subs or fancy settings just standard stereo for the first part. The Arcams were the winner for me. Based on this I listened to the av 5.1 performance on the arcam 300 and was plenty satisified that this was a massive improvement over what I had and plenty good enough. There may well be better av amps out there for films at the price (?) but music is very important for me and I wanted to cut down on the number of boxes sitting around. I also spent way too long trying to decide what to buy and wanted to make a decision based on sound and not just £'s (or $'s). Its being installed this afternoon so I will know if I've made the right choice then!

The other deciding factor was dealer / manufacturer support. Heard lots of good things about Arcam, build, service, support, etc. The dealer rated them highly and I hate being without my kit for too long (in the unlikely event that something goes wrong).

26. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    6 months ago a 40% discount was offered me in all Arcam gear...

I allmost bougt a DV78+AVR300... :D

The AVR300 was for the retail price of a Marantz 7500.
    But since I could get the 7500 with 40% off in the internet...

I bought nothing... :devil:

27. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Classic! I did that with plasmas for 8 months. Now decided to leave it for 5 years and got a projector :rolleyes: :D

28. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK... I admit... I bought a Playsation2, a Honda Transalp XL650V and an iPOD... :D

29. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Rotel RSX-1056 has the clearest dialogue I've heard on any AV system (not that I spend all my time listening to other systems mind) and the details is superb. It sounds better in stereo than my Rotel RA-01 and RCD-02 system. Rotel stuff is usually reliable (there have been some problems with the DVD players) and their customer service is superb. The receiver firmware can be updated from your PC.

30. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Whattodo, not sure if this helps at all but if music is important the Arcam seems to be fantastic - even my wife has noticed a difference :eek: I think I will be listening in stereo most of the night, going through all the favs at the moment! Star Wars in a few hours to test the surround sound...roll on the darkness of night and the projector is out too, oh did I mention that the sound was fantastic?!?!? :D :D :D :D