1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Receiver Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gall, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Gall

Gall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just recently returned a Sony STR-DB1080 receiver to Superfi a saga in it's self i am looking for a replacement and a other Net Supplier .This receiver will be matched to a Kef 2005 speaker system which i will be upgrading to 6 or maybe 7 satellite's in the not to distant future.The model's i have chosen are a Sony VA333ES or VA555ES,Pioneer VSX-D200011-S,Denon AVR-3802 and ARcam AVR-200 but i will listen to any suggestions as to receiver and suppliers.

Thanks
    Gall

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I fairly recently demoed both the Denon and the Arcam in stereo and AV (playing a music dvd) I was overwhelmed by the Arcam which appeared more dynamic smooth and rich sounding in both stereo and AV whereas the Denon was very flat sounding with virtually no bass in stereo and a much steelier sound in AV.

I have not heard the newer Sony's but in my experience the sony sound is very bright sounding and I would think that unless they have changed recently their sound would be completely differant to the Arcam.

I suggest you demo as much as you can, I know when buying on the net it prohibits this but if you expect to keep your receiver for a few years, it's worth paying more to get it right. Alternatively listen to it then either ask for a price match or say you don't like it and walk out.

3. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gall,

I've got the Sony STR-VA555ES which I'm more than happy with as a 6.1 amp. Great for movies and music.

I bought it from HotKit and they were very helpful before and after the sale. Reasonable price and very very quick delivery.

If you go for the 555ES, ensure it has had the firmware upgrade beforehand (to version 1.74) otherwise you will have problems with 6.1 for some films. It can easily be fixed at home with software, a cable and a computer, but you may not want the hassle.

The 555ES only drives 6.1 directly, but can do 7.1 with the addition of an additional 2 channel amp.

Cheers

Ian

4. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have recently purchased the eggs and teamed up with yam 630 they sound great.

5. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iwatkins,

When you bought your Sony did you cpmpare it against anything else at the time, and if so how did it compare?

6. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brox,

No, didn't really do a side by side comparison first.

I did however, hear the 555ES setup at a demo room and was left to my own devices for a couple of hours with a large selection of DVDs and CDs.

I just had to have it afterwards but the shop in question was charging too much so I bought it online ;)

I did buy all my cables from this shop (something in the region of £300, so they did get something out of it.

I've heard the Denon-3802 since, in my home with all my other gear.

I would say the Denon is a little better with CD music (stereo) but even that was close. Films are much better on the Sony.

I didn't like the look of the Denon to be honest and I thought the Denon was a little tricky to setup, but that might just be because I was used to the Sony. Both have terrible manuals ;) I also prefer the remote on the Sony, lovely to use and two way comms.

That is just my opinion, with the kit I have and to my ears. As they say, your mileage may vary...

Best bet is to see if you can demo some amps side by side. If you can't I would say you can't go wrong with either the Sony 555ES or the Denon 3802. Most of it will be down the silly stuff, like whether you like the look of it, the colour, the remote etc.

Cheers

Ian

7. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by iwatkins

interesting. in what way was the sony better with movies and do you think it was down to your taste or was it something fundamental.

Cheers

8. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brox,

I've never really been good at explaining "feeling for sound", but I will have a go.

The Sony feels more "there", i.e. you feel you are in the film. The sound from the 6.1 speakers envelopes you in what is going on and that "globe" of sound is continuous, i.e. has no gaps/holes.

I found with the Denon that you can get the same enveloping sound just that it felt there were gaps in the sound. A bit like saying you could hear which speaker an effect was coming from rather than it being a continous transistion of noise around the room.

I also feel the Sony has a better quality sound on films. I.e. it is very clear and some may say slightly "bright". The Denon on the other hand sounded a little dull/mushy in comparison.

God, I hope that makes sense :)

Now don't get me wrong, both units do a great job with both films and music. I just prefered the more precise sounding Sony over what I would call the "warmer" sounding Denon.

Cheers

Ian