1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New rears

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by moomin papa, Nov 16, 2004.

1. moomin papa

moomin papa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, could do with a bit of help over some new rear speakers.

Currently have Monitor Audio S8 at the front, Tannoy Eyeris centre and soon to have B&W ASW750 sub.

The rears are not up to scratch and are a bit of a mismatch.

Run 7.1 - not sure why as haven't even seen any DVDs which have 7.1! very few even have 6.1.

Distance between all four rears isn't that large either - the widest pair are about two feet either side of a two seater sofa and the two centre rears directly behind each listener - speakers about 1 foot behind sofa - on high stands, so well above head height when seated.

The outside rears are Acoustic Energy AE109 floorstanders and the centres are Tannoy p10s.

So ideally want to replace all 4 rears to fit in better with the system, but probably not all at once due to budget - would rather get a great pair now and wait 12 months and buy another, rather than afford both now.

What can you recommend - I am considering the Monitor Audio Gold 10s - or something around that price range - definitely no more. Or maybe a B&W - is it worth considering di/bi poles - if so which?

I use the system for action films.

Cheers for any help!

2. moomin papa

moomin papa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, if I upgrade the rears - will the change be noticeable from what I already use?

Thanks

Nic

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is quite a mix n match speaker setup that you have. I used to have M&K fronts and Mission bipole rears and I thought that sounded OK until I changed them for M&K which tonally matched the fronts. The increase in performance on music DVDs and SACD's etc was tremendous but less so on films. The soundstage seemed more cohesive than before which I believe was down to matching up the rears to the fronts and whilst the sound itself from the rears was much better I have attibuted much of that to higher quality speakers being used anyway.

Personally I believe that the biggest improvement in overall sound might be gained by swapping your centre speaker for a matching MA centre and if funds are tight to look at dropping down to 5.1 and only running one pair of more closely matching rears for the moment.