new ram crashes pc, old ram works fine - p6t deluxe v2

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by supergeek, Jun 16, 2009.

1. supergeek

supergeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    old ram: Corsair XMS3 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit

new ram: Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Triple Channel kit

I tried mixing them to get 9gb of ram, but this gave me random crashes, mostly just after i'd booted up, soo thought hmm maybe it doesn't like me mixing them, soo decided to stick with the new ram.

However this gave the same problems. Sometimes it would work perfectly fine, boot up fine, run smoothly. However, most the time it would freeze a few seconds after boot, mostly when i click a link in firefox. A system restore would fix this sometimes, however i'm sick of doing a system restore everytime, which only fixed the freezing 70% of the time. I increased the paging file to 9gb, however this didn't fix the problem.

Today, after a month of freezing, ive decided to put the old ram back in, and its booted and works perfectly fine. Would you suggest that the 6gb patriot ram was faulty then? See thats the thing that confused about, at times that new ram would work wonderfully. I'd be running crysis and doing several other things, using about 4gb ram, everything was brilliant. However, on the flip side as you know, it would randomly freeze whilst trying to open a firefox link!

any ideas? or would you suggest i get in touch with the firm i bought it from suggesting the ram is faulty?

thanks.

2. korny

korny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  3. k4p84

k4p84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you are mixing ram of different latencies mate.

one set is c8 the other c9.

i hazard that if you run with just the 3gb kit or just the 6gb kit you will be fine.

remember that only i7 with a x64 bit operating system will benefit from all the ram.

any more than 6 gb and you will see next to no performance gains unless you run cad or some major photoshop and video editing. still the gains of 9gb and 12gb are small.

also running with every ram dimm populated can cause a droop in the voltages giving you issues. you may have to increase the voltage in the bios.

run with the new 6gb kit and sell the 3gb kit

ED

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    First check that the RAM is running at its specified clock, timings and voltage. Your BIOS may have manual settings appropriate to your old RAM or may need manual setup for the new DIMMs. Boards don't always auto set the correct values, particularly for very fast RAM - I've just had to manually set all of clock,timing and voltage for my shiny new OCX Platinum DDR3 on a brand new mboard.

Once the settings are right if its still unstable check for a BIOS update, that sometimes includes RAM fixes. Otherwise your choice is between testing relaxed timing to try and stabilise it or returning it. Just remember RAM isn't guaranteed to be compatible with all boards. Sellers like Crucial will only guarantee specific RAM/mboard matches.