New Radeon 9600 non pro and garbled image in hardware accleration mode

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just installed this card in my new htpc, and it plays DVDs as garbled green images if it's played with hardware acceleration turned on. It does this in both XP and WinMe.

I'm using the drivers that cam with the card and haven't tried the latest catalyst drivers yet.

What are considered the best Cat' drivers for this card?

Cheers.

Gary.

What make is it?

Thats the card I'm using, its fine for me with DXVA switch on with theatertek. With XP make sure you have SP1, DX9b and the 3.6 Catalyst drivers.

I think I've read 3.6 has some issues, perhaps only interlaced overlay, so how's about a recommendation for catalyst 3.4 in place of 3.6.

cheers,
Rob.

Cheers guys - I've installed SP1 on XP, but not sure if DX9 is on there. No net conection yet.

Not sure why the problem exists on ME though - this is the same hard drive that was in the original htpc with the Radeon VE, except I just swapped it into the new htpc. It upgraded all the mobo drivers, and then I installed the ATI drivers from the disk for the 9600.

I'll try the 3.4 drivers to see if that makes any difference. Anyone got a pointer to them rather than the 3.6 ones?

Cheers.

Gary.

The current drivers are the 3.4 drivers, and the CD installed DirectX so that's the correct version for it at least.

The card has onboard graphics which I disabled, and set the onboard graphics memory down to 8meg - the lowest it would go.

The 9600 is 128 meg - should I set the graphics aperture to 128meg to match? I Have 256 meg DDR ram if that makes any difference.

I'm trying to get the WinMe setup running as the only issue with that is hardware acceleration. When I did an XP install, apart from getting the same garbled image, Girder was giving me problems with the remote - it didn't recognise the commandes, and when I re-learnt them, the button pushes gave different codes each time, so it was hit and miss if it would work, and if it did, it would perform a random function...

I don't have a net connection on this machine, so that makes updating anything a tad difficult.

Any more ideas?

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom