New Question, some Roksan K3 Dac questions

Cocksure

Reaction score
I have just spent the past 2 weeks copying my cd's on to a spare hard drive on my pc using exact audio copy, and whilst I love the near instantaneous selection and how I can go from I Feel Pretty to Hells Bells in under a second via foobar phone app, the sound I'm getting I don't.

I was going to get a Asus essence stx2, but as I am currently using a xonar hdav 1.3 that is also "shielded" there is little point, as the issue for me is that the music sounds to fast at times, the timings are wrong I believe the term is.

So my options are a dac or a streaming device, budget will be (won't be for a few months) around the 1200 quid mark.

I have no interest in being able to stream music around the house, only to my marantaz av8802a, which whilst it can decode the music itself, it doesn't produce a sound I like.

At the moment I am leaning towards getting a dac but have concerns about using a usb or coaxial connection to the pc, as will this effect sound quality? No such worries with a streaming device, but will it allow the rapid access and setup options (ie by folder instead of album as a pc can do).

The roksan k3 dac appeals as I like the sound of their CD players, no idea on streaming device. A built in CD player is not needed as I have my arcam cd36t for that.

All files are stored as wav if that makes a difference. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

I was going to get a Asus essence stx2, but as I am currently using a xonar hdav 1.3 that is also "shielded" there is little point, as the issue for me is that the music sounds to fast at times, the timings are wrong I believe the term is.

is it actually faster or just seems that way? Though I have to admit that I have never seen this kind of problem when played back after ripping. Unless its put through a mixer where you can change the tempo. I think you can change the tempo in foobar so would check the setup of that [/QUOTE]

I have no interest in being able to stream music around the house, only to my marantaz av8802a, which whilst it can decode the music itself, it doesn't produce a sound I like.

Is it the same problem as above with the speed or the actual sound itself? If the latter then i cant see anything changing much with a streamer, dac or any other device.
What is it about its sound you don't like?

Thanks for the reply :)

As to whether it's technically faster or not I couldn't say, but it does seem faster, not by much, a fraction of a second maybe, but noticeable. It not on every track or happens all the time, but when it does you notice it.

In regards playing the files direct via the marantaz I haven't played that much threw it to say if there is the same issue, as I found the dac it uses sound cold and clinical so stop listening pretty quickly. Feed it an analogue signal on the other hand and it lovely and warm.

That's part of the plan is to get a high quality dac or Streamer so as it does a good conversion to analogue for feed into the marantaz

Does anyone know if it does Asynchronous data processing over it's usb port as I can't see the feature mentioned anywhere in the manual / brochure?

Also is the fact that it "only" does 24 bit decoding (instead of 32 bit as some do) something I need to worry about?

Finally does anyone have anything else I should look at please?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom