Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Quad (?) based system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Neil61, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Neil61

Neil61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, my first post after lurking for a while. After years of indecision I'm fianlly putting together a stereo hifi system worthy of the name and I'd like your advice as I live in a small town in Italy with limited access to gear I can actually listen to. I have heard the Quad 11L and 12Ls which I loved and I've ordered a pair of 12Ls. I aldready have a Rotel 1070 CD player which I'll be sticking with for now and an old Pioneer turntable. I'm looking for suitable amplification for a pretty large room (but in a block of flats which curbs permissable volume levels). I want the convenience of remote control but otherwise I'm fairly open. I've heard the Quads with Micromega Minium SS integrated and a Synthesis Nimis valve amps - loved the sound of the Nimis but I don't really want what I see as the added expense and inconvenience of valves. I'm very tempted by a Quad 99 system the pre and 909 power combo. Can anyone comment on the relative pros and cons of the 99 and 909 power amps or suggest an alternative in a similar price bracket (the 99/909 represents the absolute budget limit)? I listen to lots of blues, both acoustic and electric, acoustic guitar music as well rock, folk and some Jazz. Sorry about the length of the post...

Neil

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know you said you want to keep your current CD player but it's worth noting that if you were to go for the dearer Quad CD player - the 99 CD-P that has a built in high quality pre amp that would let you go straight into a 99 or 909 power amp. It even has digitial inputs for other sources - the only thing you don't get is an analogue inputs. I have the 99 CD-P and it's a really good player (I don't use a Quad power amp mind).

Matt.

3. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Youve got a good cd player and speakers.Im sure the quads will
    sound good with any amp.I have quad11l and it sounds fine with Naim,a 12w valve amp,valve pre +rotel power.
    Am I right in thinking the quad amp combo is £1500,I would doubt whether
    it is 10x better than say an amp at £150
    I would go for a cheaper amp nad c320bee etc or a rotel.

4. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to disagree with that Im afraid, there is no comparison between a £150 amp and the quad combo, your CD and speakers would be wasted. Being a valve-head Id say go for valves, your in Italy so you've many to choose from. Most modern valve amps are fit and forget, get one with a decent auto-bias and remote volume control. Id def go for a EL34, that would give decent power thats required to get those reasonably unsensitive Quad's singing, shanling do a nice intergrated which wold fit the bill. Failing that, look closer to home, the puccini is a lovely SS amp, the unico is a gorgous hybrid that wouls suit you to a T and if poss, demo a sugden A21. If budgets a big issue dont rule out the marantz 7200KI, I spent a few nights with one that I picked up cheap (sold on) and its a nice sound which would suit your music.

5. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unless youve actually made that comparison,then your not in a position to say.
    I would say that imo it would wrong to purchase
    an amp at £1500 expecting it to be 10x better without auditioning first
    to make the comparison.

6. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    t'is true, but from my experience of buying, selling and building hi-fi equipment for quite a few years, Id say the £1500 amps Ive listened too are more than 10 times better than any £150 amp Ive listened too, all IMO of course.

7. Neil61

Neil61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. In the end I ignored most of my own selection criteria by opting for a Unison Research S6 valve amp. Fabulous sound and a really great deal brokered by a friend of a friend. Should be here within the hour...

Neil

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Good choice :thumbsup: