1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Quad (?) based system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Neil61, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Neil61

Neil61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, my first post after lurking for a while. After years of indecision I'm fianlly putting together a stereo hifi system worthy of the name and I'd like your advice as I live in a small town in Italy with limited access to gear I can actually listen to. I have heard the Quad 11L and 12Ls which I loved and I've ordered a pair of 12Ls. I aldready have a Rotel 1070 CD player which I'll be sticking with for now and an old Pioneer turntable. I'm looking for suitable amplification for a pretty large room (but in a block of flats which curbs permissable volume levels). I want the convenience of remote control but otherwise I'm fairly open. I've heard the Quads with Micromega Minium SS integrated and a Synthesis Nimis valve amps - loved the sound of the Nimis but I don't really want what I see as the added expense and inconvenience of valves. I'm very tempted by a Quad 99 system the pre and 909 power combo. Can anyone comment on the relative pros and cons of the 99 and 909 power amps or suggest an alternative in a similar price bracket (the 99/909 represents the absolute budget limit)? I listen to lots of blues, both acoustic and electric, acoustic guitar music as well rock, folk and some Jazz. Sorry about the length of the post...

Neil

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know you said you want to keep your current CD player but it's worth noting that if you were to go for the dearer Quad CD player - the 99 CD-P that has a built in high quality pre amp that would let you go straight into a 99 or 909 power amp. It even has digitial inputs for other sources - the only thing you don't get is an analogue inputs. I have the 99 CD-P and it's a really good player (I don't use a Quad power amp mind).

Matt.

3. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Youve got a good cd player and speakers.Im sure the quads will
    sound good with any amp.I have quad11l and it sounds fine with Naim,a 12w valve amp,valve pre +rotel power.
    Am I right in thinking the quad amp combo is £1500,I would doubt whether
    it is 10x better than say an amp at £150
    I would go for a cheaper amp nad c320bee etc or a rotel.

4. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to disagree with that Im afraid, there is no comparison between a £150 amp and the quad combo, your CD and speakers would be wasted. Being a valve-head Id say go for valves, your in Italy so you've many to choose from. Most modern valve amps are fit and forget, get one with a decent auto-bias and remote volume control. Id def go for a EL34, that would give decent power thats required to get those reasonably unsensitive Quad's singing, shanling do a nice intergrated which wold fit the bill. Failing that, look closer to home, the puccini is a lovely SS amp, the unico is a gorgous hybrid that wouls suit you to a T and if poss, demo a sugden A21. If budgets a big issue dont rule out the marantz 7200KI, I spent a few nights with one that I picked up cheap (sold on) and its a nice sound which would suit your music.

5. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unless youve actually made that comparison,then your not in a position to say.
    I would say that imo it would wrong to purchase
    an amp at £1500 expecting it to be 10x better without auditioning first
    to make the comparison.

6. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    t'is true, but from my experience of buying, selling and building hi-fi equipment for quite a few years, Id say the £1500 amps Ive listened too are more than 10 times better than any £150 amp Ive listened too, all IMO of course.

7. Neil61

Neil61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. In the end I ignored most of my own selection criteria by opting for a Unison Research S6 valve amp. Fabulous sound and a really great deal brokered by a friend of a friend. Should be here within the hour...

Neil

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Good choice :thumbsup: