1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PW7 - Sky (RGB) -> DMRE65EBS (Component) -> Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mafri1972, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was ready to order my new PW7 today, however looking through this forum, I'm confused again!

I had intended to order the Component board for my new plasma and connect as follows:

DVD Player (Component) -> AV Amp
    Sky Box (SCART RGB) to JS RGB-Component converter -> AV Amp

And then connect the Amp output (component) to my new plasma.

However, that seems like an expensive way to do things. If I'm about to spend around £150 on a JS converter, wouldn't it be just as easy to by a DMRE65EBS DVD Recorder (£230 region-free from Richer), and allow that to convert the RGB into component?

Do I lose out this way, either in quality or hassle-factor? Would the DVD recorder need to be switched on for this to work?

The added attraction is, of course, that I wouldn't even need to power-up the amp to act as a switch if I used this method.

.......unless you guys are about to tell me different..........?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DVDR would need to be on (allows you to use a RAM disc and live pause etc) possible Quality drop compared to JS box but better functionality record DVDs........

3. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya i to was thinking of going the same way pw6 component board or vga-to component out on dvd recordrer, was looking at Sony GXD 500 which has built in freeview, to cut down on equipment best price so far £309 M/R . not sure if this is best way to go.
    What are you doing for sound, if you went through a dvd recorder, and didnt need to power up your amp.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    use the AMP man that whats its there for

5. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to pass through a simple stereo signal to the plasma panel - just for occasional viewing and when I didn't want to upset the neighbours!

Thanks for the advice - I guess the point I'm getting at is how much of a quality drop would there be against the JS box, would I really notice it? Is it worth the difference between getting the JS box alone or paying £70 more for a fully-functioning DVD recorder.......?

Martin

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not much i would go for the DVDR (but its upto you really demoing would be hard but JS boxes sell for a tad under RRP S/H if you change your mind)

7. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, didn't think about buying the kit and selling on - how much of a pain would it be with the DVD recorder switched on? I don't want to power-up the Starship Enterprise every time I want to watch TV, so I suspect that the DVD recorder would be left switched on (to allow the signal to pass through) when the Sky box and plasma panel were switched off.

I'm now wondering whether to go for one of the HD-enabled Panasonic DVD recorders, boy is this turning out to be an expensive week!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on an SD plasma...........steady on boy..............

9. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooops, I meant HD as in Hard Drive. Not High Definition!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    great if you time shift viewing..... ie record stuff while you are work and watch that night.....

11. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plasma is ordered now, delivering on Tueday :) Has anyone got practical experience of using a DVD recorder to convert the signal, and the quality drop expected?

I haven't got the connectors, etc. yet but will need to soon to make sure I can play with my new toy :)