1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PW7 problems...Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CarlitoBrigante, Dec 15, 2004.

1. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I got my PW7 delivered last night, great screen, great picture, looks beautiful and easy to set up. However I had a couple of problems and if anyone has any info on how to sort them out I'd be very grateful ;)

1) When entering the 'set up' menu through the remote, I cannot select the option for RGB/Compnent, as this option if faded. I have my Pioneer VSX501 amp connected at the moment through a scart terminal board, and the picture on Sky seems okay, but when I play DVDs it doesn't look too clear. Do you think this is maybe because it is not detecting the RGB signal somehow? :confused:

2) When I play NTSC discs through the DVD player, the picture that comes up has different colour stripes across it and flickers :confused:

3) I don't even wanna get into the 3rd one, it's embarassing...... :blush:

Any help would be great :lease:

2. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody at all???

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1) Emmm, you can't get component through the scart input board (as far as I know) - so that's why you can't select that. I don't have that board - but I'd have thought that RGB or composite would be your only options. If you've got the Scart set as RGB then I'd check what your amp settings are. I'm taking a wild guess and saying that your outputting composite on your amp - hence the not to clear picture.

2) I don't ever play NTSC discs - so haven't a clue. Might be related to the amp settings.

3) Well ... if you don't say we can't help now can we? :)

ZedZed

4. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zed, appreciate the response :smashin:

1) Sorry, I think that I didn't explain it properly. The menu has an option to select what input you are recieving which says 'RGB/Component', and I thought that if I could enter this option I may be able to clarify whether it is recieving the RGB signal. I don't know exactly how it works, but I would presume it would automatically be an RGB connection if the sockets are RGB, and the amp has RGB outputs, and the plasma has an RGB input. Am I right here?

2) I'm hoping this problem will be resolved when I recieve the component lead, but it's still worrying. I'm thinking maybe the amp can't send NTSC signals? :confused:

3) :blush: :blush: :blush:

5. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Tell us about 3! go on!

6. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL...

Well, basically I was fiddling around with my Pio 565 DVD player and for some unknown reason thought it would be a clever idea to set it to 'Progressive mode' :oops: . This has now locked it in 'Progressive mode' :mad: and I cannot get a signal from the DVD player to the screen :mad:

I understand I will not be able to resolve this issue until my component lead arrives :mad: So I will not be able to watch any DVDs until then, even though I only got my plasma LAST NIGHT :mad:

Told you it was embarassing :blush: :blush: Happy now? :blush:

7. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes. DOH!

8. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    geewee

I see you have a PW7. Could you please tell me if it shows any indication that it is recieving an RGB signal anywhere? if you have RGB connected of coarse.

Mine just says 'input' as I was told it apparently selects the signal automatically.

9. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I connect via S-Video at the moment.......but the option in the set up menu isnt faded as you suggest.

10. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok. Just checked my PW7, I am using the scart socket with RGB input from my freeview box; RGB/Component is infact greyed out, probably because that is what it is seeing and does not need the option to be highlighted, as there is nowhere else to go.
    It follows then that your panel is seeing a RGB signal.
    I use a PC and projector for DVD's so I can't help there.
    Have you tried bypassing the amp and going straight in to the panel? Is the DVD player set to RGB, or is that (3), and no longer checkable.

Ken

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sort out option 3 (possibly by using the dedicated composite output on DVD player to screen (Scart adapter and RCA so you can get into menu (sometimes they scroll and can take ages to find the option...............

12. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carlito,

Got my PW7 last night so only just getting out of the box, but would I be right in saying you're watching DVDs by putting your DVD player into your Sky box and then connecting that to the screen?

If so, it might just be picture degradation from the diluted signal (hope not cos I was planning on doing that myself tonight!!), and basically means you either need to re-route (maybe a Quinntro multi-SCART box??) or plug the DVD player directly into the plasma when you want to use it - not ideal but there you go.

Have you got a second board, Composite/S-Video etc? If you have, or if you can get one, you could connect your DVD player directly to that and if the problem is as I've described, that would be the end of it (plus you could then use picture in picture with Sky & DVD/Xbox/PS2 etc - that's my plan!

Hope that helps...

Ads :thumbsup:
    www.blackmanalishi.com
    TH37PW7BX (still in box!), Pioneer DCS-323 (ditto), Sky+, Xbox, PS2, loads of cables I don't know what to do with...

13. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RGB/Component option is greyed out on mine too and I assumed it was just becuase I only have one (scart) board and therefore no option to change.

14. Cvar

Cvar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    CarlitoBrigante,

There is a unlock procedure in the manual of the Poi 565...

Succes!
    Cvar

15. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to sort this out in the end last night. It was in fact the AV output setting in the menus of the DVD player which needed to be changed. I swore I done this with my previous TV, but either I didn't or it has changed back.

I don't think my Sky Digital box has an RGB output, although I'm not sure.

PS2 seems fine now, for some reason it seems clearer even though I'm still using the same RGB scart lead with it.

Ken / David: Thanks for confirming the Component / RGB option is greyed out on your menus too. I was concerned about this as it very unclear in the manual as to whether or not this should happen.

Hornydragon / Cvar: Cheers for the advice. The unlock procedure in the manual requires you to have a set of leads which were included with the player, but I seem to have misplaced them :blush: . In the end, whilst reading a review about the 565a online, I found a small sentence that said "this locking problem can be rectified by switching the player onto standby and then pressing standby whilst holding down rewind on the front panel". Luckily, it worked :thumbsup: Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.

blackmanalishi: I'm connecting my DVD player through a Pio vsx501 amp, which acts as a switcher with (apparently) no picture loss. It seems fine now anyway. I also have a component board which I will be connecting the DVD player directly to tonight (as my component lead arrived today), but as the Pio 565 only has NTSC progressive scan I will have to watch PAL Dvds through the RGB connection until I get the 575 next week.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Really appreciate it :smashin:

I'll be back with a new problem tomorrow.. :clown:

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    watch pal as interlaced (NTSC too) Pioneer DVD einterlacer unlikely to be much better tha the PW7's own...
    Also every SKY digital STB except one i have come across outputs RGB from TV scart when set to RGB from PAL in menu

17. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hi there,
    You can't input component video via the SCART socket - you will need a component terminal board.

The menu option you are trying to change has been deliberately disabled on the PW7 by Panasonic.

You used to be able to input component via the VGA socket. This is now not possible - the cynic inside me would suggest the reason for this is to increase sales of terminal boards!.

All Sky Digital boxes output RGB - it's part of the specification. The only exception might be that nasty mini box they do?

18. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean that on the DVD menu I should select component out to 'interlace' rather than progressive?

Or is this an option on the Plasma that I have to set to interlace?

19. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon / Stevelup

When you say all Sky boxes output RGB, do you mean all Sky made boxes, or other brands as well?

I think my one is a Panny. 99% sure, but I'll have to check when I get home.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on DVD menu that way you just pop in the disc and play mate....... I am not a huge fan of low end PS players with plasma let the plasma de-interlace and scale........ AND there will be an RGB output on your sky box have a search for instrutions to find it...

21. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hi

There is no such thing as a Sky box par se. Sky don't make any of them - they are made by different manufacturers to a strict minimum technical specification laid down by Sky.

Any box - no matter who it's made by - will output RGB.

Steve

22. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I set the DVD to interlace (as it is now for component) I would still get the same PQ even though it isn't in Progressive mode?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you may just tell a slight difference but i would prefer a great interlaced output over a good PS output anyday (to a PW7)

24. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    The content of your DVD is stored in interlaced format.

To display it on the Plasma, it needs converting to progressive.

If you have progressive enabled on the DVD player, it is the DVD player doing the deinterlacing. If you leave it set as interlaced, the Plasma will do the deinterlacing.

It all boils down to which device is better at doing the deinterlacing. Chances are the Plasma will do a better job of it than an entry level DVD player.

Once you've got a component video terminal board, just try it in both modes and see what you prefer - ultimately, that is the most important factor.

Just do what looks best to you - after all, it's you who's got to watch it!

Steve

25. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blinding! I'll try it with both. I suppose I could always watch NTSC in progressive scan mode and then switch it to interlace when I'm watching PAL, if the PS looks better.

I gather I don't need to change any settings on the PW7 to accommodate this?

thx again for your help HD :smashin:

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    nope screen is clever enough to work that bit out mate....

27. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ;)

I'll sort it tonight hopefully then. I hpoe the component makes a good pq difference.

p.s. Screen wasn't clever enough to detect my NTSC discs though. I had to change that detail myself! (this is coming from the same idiot that locked his DVD player into a state of un-usability because he didn't have a clue what he was doing)

28. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Steve, missed this.

This answers a question I was just about to ask, so thanks a lot for the info :smashin:

Everyone on here seems to be a bit negative about the 565. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just not well liked?

Do you think I would be better not upgrading to a 575a and getting something better?

29. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hi

I've got nothing bad at all to say about your DVD player - in fact I think it's a great all round machine.

The question is: Is the deinterlacer in my £100 ish DVD player better, or worse, than the deinterlacer in my £1500 plasma monitor?

Only one way to find out... Try it!

I'm not sure an upgrade is helpful as you will probably need to upgrade by a significant amount to see any tangible benefit.

Steve

30. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically, Progressive scan is just a term used for the way the signal is interlaced? :confused:

This is all great news. I don't even really need to get the 575 now if the PQ from the 565 is better through interlace rather than Progressive scan. I still may get it, just in no rush now.

Cheers guys :smashin: