1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PW7 arrived - a few questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Vipen, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    well i just took delivery of my new PW7, months and months of researching later and i settled on the panny.

i'm back at work now but wondered exactly how this fits on to my alpahason stand (new model) which has a bracket arm system built in? i don't see where you can actually attach the plasma on the back of it. don't tell me i should have bought a wall bracket???!!! i thought i didn't need one because in effect i have one, just not anything extra on the plasma.

second thing, so i'll be running in with contrast down. i've seen the threads, just wondered if 200 hours is still the norm as it's quite a while.

is there anything against me leaving it on during the day? or maybe from lunchtime till midnight?

cheers

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    there are 4 large black screws in the back of the panny which you need to remove and then bolt the stand on using screws, spacers and washers that should have been provided with your stand. I don'thavethe same stand as you as mine came from av-sales but assuming your stand is compatible with the pw7 then it should be that simple.
    With regards to the 200 hours, I've been kind of sticking to this and am now up to 160 hours after a few weeks...and whilst it's entirley up to you I don't think you'll cause much damage by notching contrast up a bit so long as you are not leaving the dreaded red dot or the same logo on screen for too long or pausing sky+ for long periods.....same goes for leaving it on overnight etc...as long as you chose a channel without a fixed bright logo it should be fine.
    This is based on my own experience...I'm no expert :)

3. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks mep, i did notice those four large black screws but as i am the worlds worst diyer, i wasn't sure if undoing them would result in the front panel falling off :laugh: er, maybe i shouldn't laugh so soon...

just wondered as i watched sky last night on my portable. are there any particular logos that are worse than others? are the white logos like on sky or sci-fi any better than other ones or does colour not play a part here?

that's my only concern, those damn logos!!!

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i was worried about those screws too as they were not mentioned in the manual..or i couldn't find it..but they are deffo the ones.
    SOme of the logos are more transparent so they must be the best and bbc and itv tend be faint colours....some of the music channels have pretty bold logos but even so my teenage daughter watches these a lot and I've had no problems.

5. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    right, just checked the frame at lunchtime and all ok. fully understood even though it worries mewith the weight and all but it says up to 42" screen.

so, just in anticipation, i looked at the cables av-sales supplied me and now i'm not so sure they're given me the right ones.

i have a nad receiver with two component ins. an ntl box, a dvd-r (new panny e55) and an xbox.

i wanted to do switching through the receiver but i think the cables have confused me.

i have been sent

2 x tech-link scart cables
    1 x JS RGB to VGA converter
    1 x VGA - VGA cable
    1 x 3 RCA - 3 BNC cable

and all this to either the VGA port or component slot in the supplied dual component/composite board.

as a scart only person you can see my confusion.

can anyone offer a quick overview and advise if i need something else.

the xbox is not modded and doesn't have a hi-def kit either (yet) and ideally i wanted to have a go tonight.

thanks for your help, it'll all be over soon :D

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I have sky so not sure about ntl but assume it has scart out which you could run to dmr e55 but you then need component leads between e55 and the nad then use your component to bnc cable from the nad to the screen.....you then need the xbox component lead to the nad. looks like you have some cables you don't need and are missing some you do.

7. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks mep, you're keeping me on the straight and narrow. maybe they omitted the nad from the equation?! i seem to think they may have, bah!

oh well, i'll nip into town and get myself another component lead.

funny that i have a rgb-vga converter. maybe i can use that for the xbox straight into the vga port, no?

can you actually buy a component connection kit for the xbox? or is this the hi-def kit that people talk about which requires a soft mod too??

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    doh! oh yes i think you can! xbox to rs vga out...try it!...then you can just cut the nad out for switching can't you?

9. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    yep, thatnks mep, i'll give it all a try tonight. i'm sure i've got too many leads though, oh well, i'll be back.... :thumbsup:

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    sounds like you are only 1 scart lead over, the other leads will all be used 1 scart from ntl to e55, 1 vga to vga from the js to screen 1 rca to bnc bewteen e55 and screen....plus existing xbox lead to scart in on the js...job done :)

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    hmmm mind you...not sure xbox does rgb out?.....

12. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i think it does. i have the high quality scart with the optical out attached to the cable. surely it must be??!! what will it (not) look like if it isn't? will i get just a blank screen?

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you are right...found this on xbox site

The Xbox™ Advanced SCART Cable connects the console to TVs equipped with a SCART input terminal and enables RGB video signals for improved video output. This cable also provides a digital output for use with digital audio receivers. Sound system with Dolby® Digital decoding and a fibre-optic cable required to enable Dolby Digital audio. (Additional cables and sound systems sold separately.)

14. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    cool, well i just had another though, hopefully a simple answer.

so, exactly how do i get the sound to the amp? i totally overlooked this aspect. if i was going ntl > e55 > js > amp > pw7 no problem, but as i'm now bypassing the amp i look at the JS converter and see two phono like audio outs.

are they digital? never seen digital plugs like that (stereo/dual). is it in fact a stereo output or two digitals? i've no idea and will probably have to make another walk into town in a minute :confused:

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you can still use the amp for sound ....e55 has optical out as does the xbox lead you have...not sure about your ntl...what digital inputs do you have on the nad?

16. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i'm not sure. i know it has an optical in and another which i used for dvd (not sure what it's called).

i just wondered what the audio out plugs were for on the JS. would solve the ntl issue unless the 'through' of the e55 will convert the audio signal as well. but ntl isn't digital sound so not sure if it's possble. my ntl box has zero audio outputs, just two scarts. damn it, i was gonna get sky anyway as my ntl box looks (and is) prehistoric...

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    the e55 will take audio through the scart and as ntl isn't digital you won't lose anything by doing that....but sky's a good move!
    Generally you have 2 types of digital link the optical tos link (as on your xbox lead) and coax, which is the RCA type connection. If you don't have enough of either on your nad you can convert from one to the other very cheaply

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Vipen if you at "home" with the kit give AV-sales a call and they will let you know what you need does ntl box have stereo audio outs?(red and white phono on rear near scarts?) if so just need 2 RCA (phono) to 2 RCA lead (probably one in E55 box mate)

19. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would think twice about leaving the screen on for any length of time while not in the room..................................i've come back and found Sky frozen on screen.................suppose could cause burn if left on all night.

The weather seems to cause the signal to freeze or stutter sometimes.

Cheers, Tam

20. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even without a chipped Xbox you can get component video out using an Xbox Hi-Def kit.

21. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    right guys, got it nearly all sorted last night. except it appears my optical cable which was working when i took it out of my xbox for the e55 is now not. i've no idea why, is this a normal possibility? i thought those cables were robust.

so i'll buy another today, hopefully that is only the problem and not something painful.

as for the panny, the picture is awesome. playing burnout 3 on xbox was pure joy, playing pro-evo 4 was, hmm, well let's just say the game never looked that good anyway, many many digital artifacts.

haven't tried dvd properly yet but eventually got the ntl box working through the e55.

however, can i not put the e55 in standby mode and still receive the ntl signal? i put it in standby and the ntl signal dissappeared.

oh, and the e55 is sooooooo slow. but hey, can't have everything. and a shame it doesn't have coax output.

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    no you cant put e55 in standby, you just need to remove dvd so its says no disc or hit the stop button twice and leave dvd in...it still resumes at the right place.