1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PW6 dead pixel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by stano1, Oct 8, 2004.

1. stano1

stano1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all i'd like to say hello to everone on the forum as this is my first post.
    I have found the forum very helpfull in making my choice for my first Plasma.
    I have just recieved my Pany today (which i oredered over the phone yesterday). After close inspection today i have noticed what appears to be one dead pixel which is stuck on green and is visible on light backgrounds.
    When i ordered the plasma i asked the sales assistant on the phone to they perform dead pixel checks (which i have read on this forum that the company i bought from does offer this service for an additional £20) His reply was that he thought they only performed the checks on LCD models and this would not be a problem with the panny, and they have only ever seen this problem a couple of times on the pw6. What should i do now. Will this pixel remain dead, should i contact the retailer or live with one dead pixel. Hope someone can advise me. Also i have a scart connection set up on av1 and component on av2 when i change from input2 (scart) it remains on input 2 and goes black and white then by pressing input again it will move onto the next input, has anybody else experienced this before.

Thanks

p.s. very impressed with pq through the component board

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've read that these "dead" pixels sometimes come to life after a short while - it may not be a permanent problem. It's always worth phoning the dealer (who did you buy from?) and checking whether there will be any hassle with getting a replacement - I gather some dealers operate on a tolerance basis - so as long as it's less than 10 pixels (for e.g.) then they won't replace.

Re: you're input switching - sorry - I've no idea - I don't have my panny yet!

ZZ

3. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Do a search on this forum for dead pixel- I am sure, although I can't remember the exact details, that this has been discussed in depth.

There are manufacturers' guidelines on how many dead pixels they will accept, where the pixels are on the screen, etc. I do know that some dealers check (for free) for dead pixels - Joe Fernand for one.

4. thierfeu

thierfeu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe you can send it back directly...

I don't know english law,

but in France when a purchase is not conclude into a store (by phone, by internet, at home by a saleman) you have 7 days to send it back without any justification, and seller has to refund you (as long as you send it back in a brand-new condition, in original package)

so when a pixel is dead , you don't even have to claim for any accointance of the seller : you send it back directly !

it's the reason why i will buy mine this way...

5. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there a new law called cooling off period but has to be bought online does anybody know more :hiya:

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hopefully your dead pixel may come back to life, if you do a search you'll see that a few people have experienced this phenomenon. If not, then as posted above, I would contact your dealer and possibly manufacturer to see if you have any options. However if you read the manual you will read a rather vague and woolly disclaimer stating that if a display suffers a number of dead pixels then Panny don't class this as a fault but rather a feature of plasma display panels.

As for your B&W picture when changing AV inputs are you not changing between a composite/RGB and S-video input? I know when I toggle AV2 on my Viera the picture will change to B&W as I toggle from S-video to composite. This is denoted by the logo changing from AV2 to AV2S. Either way, I'm pretty sure that what you are experiencing is normal.

S.