New PVR advice needed

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by DefinitelyMaybe, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    our current pvr is ancient and dying. I need to get a new one but feeling very confused about the technology out there now. What we want is

Ability to record at least 2 programmes simultaneously on freeview, ideally 3

Lots of hard drive to save things on the device

The ability to back up what we’ve saved. As it’ll take up a lot of memory then I’m presuming to a separate back up device via usb rather than saving on to lots of dvds

The opportunity to link it with another tv/dvd/pvr so that we could record something on the device but be able to watch it in another room on another tv (I realise we’d have to get a new tv or device in the other room to link it to and we would do this in the future rather than straight away)

Ideally be able to access apps eg iPlayer from it (if that’s possible)

We don’t have sky etc, just freeview

Does such a thing exist? What am I looking for? Have been googling and feeling very confused.

Thank you

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    Welcome to the forum @DefinitelyMaybe. I have moved your thread to the correct subforum where hopefully you will get better replies.

My personal experience puts Humax recorders high on the list. You can even purchase one of the old models like the HDR FOX T2 and add your own hard drive larger in size.

It can record 2x at once and watch a 3rd provided its on the same multiplex.

There are of course newer models that can record just as much or more. I currently use a BT box which I was provided with free by BT but it can be purchased separately and I am very happy with it too. It's a bit more modern than the older Humax I had so it includes better apps and a faster UI. It also comes with a 1TB HDD instead of a 500gb one but I don't think you can install your own like you used to be able to with the older boxes.

One thing I will say is it isn't going to be possible to export your recordings to a USB stick, certainly not without some custom firmware and a degree of knowledge. You will at best be able to move them to a USB stick but you will only be able to play them back on the same Humax for copy protection reasons.

So to summarise, the easy option would be the new BT Box; https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-YouView-DTR-T4000-1TB-Freeview-Black/dp/B01B5XN9GM and no means to export recordings but better smart TV.

And the option to store the most programmes would be one of the older Humax boxes second hand like the HDR FOX T2 and add your own 3.5" HDD with higher capacity.

There may be other better options too, I am not exactly an expert on the topic so hopefully you get more useful replies than mine too!

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Yes but no longer in production.

Two networked Humax HDR-FOX-T2 boxes can view each others recordings (both HD and SD). Technically thanks to a DTCP-IP server and client on each box.

A bog standard HDR-FOX-T2 can export SD recordings to USB that you can use on other kit.

As said above adding the custom firmware to a HDR-FOX-T2 can make both HD and SD recordings available to other kit via the network or copying directly to a PC.

It only falls down on catch up services, but these days there are lots of cheap options to get these as a seperate device.

If you have a smart phone or tablet a chromecast can transfer these to a TV with HDMI in.

4. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I’m not familiar with the brand humax at all, we usually buy Panasonic.

It’s interesting you can’t back up what you record. I can see the point from piracy but it’s annoying as we save a lot of programmes for my daughter and wanted to get a copy of them and not lose them when the machine dies. I’m also a teacher and would like to record some programmes for use in school, especially as now the bbc store where I could previously pay to download and keep gas closed.

I’ve spotted there are now quite a few pvr/ dvd combo players/recorders. Can you record onto dvd things saved onto the hard drive on these?

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    Check out this machine which may suit many of your needs.