New PV500 - best possible setup?

D

dsbaker

Hi everyone. I have been lurking on this forum for months now soaking up all the great advice and have decided to finally take the plunge and buy a Panasonic PV500 (37-inch model - didn't have the room for the 42!!). I think it was a HD demo which finally did it...

Anyway, I planned to set it up as follows and wondered if this would be suitable (this is my current equipment some of which may change in the future):

Panasonic DMR-E85H (HDD/DVDR) - connected to component and used for DVD playback also.
Pace Sky Box - connected via Scart to DMR-E85H above.
Optical out from DMR-E85H to Pioneer surround sound system - this may change in the future but for the moment is used just for audio. Can't remember model number!

POSSIBLE:
Denon 1910 (with HDMI adapter) or Toshiba SD350E for DVD playback via HDMI with optical connection to Pioneer.

My questions:
1. Does this seem like a suitable current/future setup?
2. Will the Sky box via the component connected DMR-E85H provide the best possible picture for Sky?
3. Should progressive be enabled on the DMR-E85H, the PV500 or both?
4. Are either of the HDMI DVD players above likely to provide better visuals than the DMR-E85H via component?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions but I just want to get it spot on. The PV500 should arrive today (fingers crossed). Thanks in advance.

Personally, I would connect the SKY box directly (scart) to AV1. I haven't tried a component connection from my ES10 DVD recorder, but connecting SKY through it using scart definitely reduced the picture quality. Try it through the DVD via component, then just directly though AV1, and see if there's a difference!

Is there a way of connecting it to both the plasma and the DVD recorder and still keeping the picture top notch on both? I currently have it on the DVD-R because I think the Sky box only has one RGB scart.

Personally I would not bother with a HDMI player for SD dvds. I would save the HDMI input for some true hi def.

dsbaker said:
Is there a way of connecting it to both the plasma and the DVD recorder and still keeping the picture top notch on both? I currently have it on the DVD-R because I think the Sky box only has one RGB scart.
AV4 is RGB, too.

I have AV1 connected to my SKY+ through Scart RGB
and my denon DVD surround sound system connected through component.

Thanks for the responses folks - much appreciated. I have just taken delivery and hooked it all up. Only had a brief play (and am keeping settings low to run in) but my initial impression is that the picture is simply awesome - MUCH better than I expected through artefact-ridden Sky.

Currently I have my Sky box(tv output RGB) connected through ES10 ( AV1)because this is the only way to record RGB output as VCR scart output on Sky Box does not output RGB :mad:

I am getting my PV500 shortly and was wondering if any 500 owners could tell me if its possible to connect both directly to the screen and then set the Pv500 to assign and record the output from one of its scart sockets to the es10.

There is a massive difference in PQ between RGB and composite recordings so RGB is a must for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom