New purchase

stuarta

Standard Member
Hi guys, so I've had an issue this morning where a black horizontal line has appeared flashing on and off which I'm assuming is pixel damage on my tx42et61. Annoying because it's been a great TV but don't think it's worth repairing.

Looking at alternative models, I'm looking at the tx-49fx700b. It's hard to ignore though the fx550b but I know people with this one and I don't think the picture is great or blacks very black. Think I've read that this is actually a Vested rebranded one and assuming that explains it. I like to think the 700b being about £300 more expensive isn't a Vestel and a better TV and picture?

Loopthrough

Hi guys, so I've had an issue this morning where a black horizontal line has appeared flashing on and off which I'm assuming is pixel damage on my tx42et61. Annoying because it's been a great TV but don't think it's worth repairing.

Looking at alternative models, I'm looking at the tx-49fx700b. It's hard to ignore though the fx550b but I know people with this one and I don't think the picture is great or blacks very black. Think I've read that this is actually a Vested rebranded one and assuming that explains it. I like to think the 700b being about £300 more expensive isn't a Vestel and a better TV and picture?
The 550 is a Vestel and not the kind of thing I would recommend for a main TV (maybe ok for bedroom, etc), plus pointless to buy it under the Panasonic badge as you can get the same thing for less as Techwood etc.

The first true Panasonic in UHD is the 600 series, but I'd pay the extra for the 700, which is a great IPS LCD TV with the great, true Panasonic build quality and performance.
Yes, the Vestels are inferior (hence price difference and fact that they're only being used by Panasonic as leader models).

Loopthrough

Ok thanks. Read a couple of posts on here about the 700b and wondering if it is a good set and if an IPS is correct?

Question - Panasonic fx700b

Question - Looking for help with 49-50" around the £500 mark
No problem. If you're happy with the picture quality you have now and enjoy the improved viewing angles IPS offers and watch in a room with ambient lighting you'll do just fine with the FX700.

Your current TV is using an LG sourced IPS panel, just like the 700. The FX700 adds wide colour gamut and a dimming system (plus the slightly improved contrast IPS has today) compared to your older model.

If you want a VA panel from Panasonic (deeper head on black levels and contrast at expense of viewing angles), then wait for the 2019 models (TX..GX700B) as they use VA panels this year.

stuarta

Standard Member
Ok so I don't really know the difference between IPS and VA, but in short the 700 is far better for picture and blacks than the 550 and also improvement on my old et61. Am conscious of some reports of TVs with bad SD performance but guess that's with any new TV. I have recently bought a tx-32Fs500b for the bedroom and that's got great colour and sound.

I see Richer Sounds have the 49" 700 for £599, the 750 for £849 and a 50" GX800B for £899 but don't think I can justify the jump to 849 or 899. Although might hang on for easter sales.

Forgot to add that our living room gets full sun on the TV as well which normally means pulling the curtains to see anything

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom