1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Purchase: Sony or Philips?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bizarrefish, Dec 28, 2004.

1. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Have read many posts over the last few days in this section and you've all helped a lot but I still have an unknown over which of these two models to purchase. Sony KDL-L32MRX1 or Philips 32PF9986.

To give you some background over the purchase:
    My wife has tasked me with getting rid of our 3yr old Sony 32" TV (KV32FQ75) as our 2 1/2 year old daughter sits way too close to it, literally inches. Our living room is rectangular and is 5m long by around 3m and so a flat screen tv is ideal to wall mount and by doing so move our daughter further away. Our current tv looks okay in the room and my eventual aim is to get maybe a 42" tv but currently I dont think anything is there yet to warrant me spending that amount of money whilst the digital convergence phenomenon is happening. With this in mind I am happy to maybe stick at 32" as I will gain 2" anyway due to the way CRT dimensions are calculated, I also aim to move this tv into our bedroom when I do get the monster I really want and so dont want anything too overpowering for when it does move.

I have made my choice to go LCD over PLASMA mainly from the aspect that I would like to run a media pc on this screen and so really dislike the way Plasmas display computer images.

So to get to the main point of this thread which of the two models would you recommend? Price isnt really an issue as both fall within the budget. I am more swayed by the Sony due to its design and component inputs, hdmi isnt that necessary yet as it will move into the bedroom and I am figuring component will be better at the moment. I also like the idea of a media box rather than everything connecting to the screen as it will be wall mounted. My only issue is that is the Sony likely to be replaced anytime soon (3 months) as I saw the first review last April and in the advent of SKY's hdmi announcement Sony may bring forward the new models so as not to hit sales over Philips. Most mag reviews state the Wega Engine as more superior to Pixel Plus which suffers from more defects.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Just look through this forum and im sure you will come to your own conclusion but id be tempted to go for the philips as its more futureproof and is better spect.

3. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you're thinking of inputting your media pc through the sony's d-sub pc input, don't. it's on the front of the media box (as is the s-video). if your media pc can output through component then that will be fine.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Richard

My 12 month old has just started started to reach the screen. Every time I see the moire patterns his little fingers generate, I wished I had gone for a glass fronted screen. I don't know how robust LCD panels are, but its something to think about. Otherwise, make sure that you mount it well out of reach.

-Ian

5. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys, after researching some more I think I will hold off for a few months to see what Sony's new range is going to be like then make the decision between them and Philips at that time.

Cheers

Richard