New Purchase, some questions!!

M

morden8uk

Hello,

New to this forum... glad to be here!!

I bought a New Sony dcr-hc18e.. seems a nice camera, cannot work out how to transfer the video to my PC though. It came with a USB cable, and I have ordered a Firwire card for the PC.. I also bought a 6pin/4pin belkin ieee1394 cable (which claims on the box to be a universal camcorder to PC cable) is this ok?.

That bit out the way... what next, the instructions keep pointing to VCD, but I've got a DVD burner coming with the Firwire card!!!!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for any help...... mind field this?.

Rob

Welcome.

Yes firewire is the way to transfer from Cam to PC.

Next is decide on editing & authoring software because you can forget VCD for starters. DVD is the way to go if you have a burner coming as well.

Editing & authoring software
Check out Sony's Movie Studio
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=932

or you could start off with Windows Movie Maker which is free.

Thanks for the reply... nice to know I have the right cable, thats a start.

I have got the complete Nero6 suite... is this going to be ok?.. How do I capture the video, is it just a case of playing the video on the camcorder then selecting something in nero?.

Any advice will help, ta

Rob

I used Nero a long time ago for burning but never video editing.

Most video editors you capture through the video editing application. Open the program & look for "get video" "capture video" etc.

Try some of the trial versions for 30 days till you get one you like, Ive tried several and ended up with VideoStudio8 from Ulead as it dose everything including burning to DVD.

To capture video with Nero 6:
Start 'Nero StartSmart'
Select 'DVD'
Select 'Photo and Video'
Select 'Capture Video'

Although this will work the features are very basic and once captured I don't think there are any options for editing.
Also Nero 6 does not have full DVD authoring features. You can create a DVD, but I don't think you can add a menu or chapters. Yoiu need the latest version of Nero for that - Nero Reloaded!

IMO you will be better useing Windows Movie Maker 2 (free as part of Windows XP) to capture & edit the video. To learn MM2 have a look at www.papajohn.org
Once you have all the edits done then you can use Nero to copy it to a DVD (but without menu & chapters!) or buy a dedicated authoring program such as Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 (this is what I use!). It costs between £25 & £30 online and is very easy to use and will offer a lot more features than Nero.

Mark.

Actually, I have Nero 6, (along with one or two other edit progs :confused: ) and you can create menus, with animation & sound. You can also add chapters, and do the general NLE editing of clips. I would rate it on par with MM2 for editing. :smashin: It is pretty good in taking you through the steps to create a reasonable finished product.

Brum,
are you sure you only have 'Nero 6' and not 'Nero 6 Reloaded'?

Mark.

Wow Thanks guys... think I might give Nero6 a go (i.e raw non edited to DVD) to start with then move on!!

Thanks again

Wow.... just got my Sony burner & Firewire card. The burner has 'My Sonic DVD' with it & the firewire card included a 4 to 6 DV cable!!!! :clap:

The Burner cost me £42 inc VAT & The firewire card cost £11.75 inc vat (with the cable).

Should I use the supplied cable (looks quite thin) and get a refund on the gold plated Belkin... or will the Belkin make much difference?.

Thanks

Rob

P.s created my first DVD with menu within 20 mins!!!... love it!

The supplied cable should work fine. Therefore if you can get your money back on the other cable, then why not!

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom