• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New purchase of Denon X4300h

Intelz

Hi everyone,
I am a complete novice with regards to AVR's and after reading over this forum for the last 10 days or so, I have decided to purchase the X4300h.

I am now somewhat bemused by the vast choice of speakers and would be obliged with some input in selecting some 5.1 speakers.

The TV is on a unit against the wall and the couch is 8 feet away and is also against the wall, and there is plenty of room for the front 3 speaker and sub woofer and the 2 rear speakers would be placed on either side of the couch.

I have narrowed it down to these 3 but as I said I am a novice when it comes to home theatre stuff and some input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Denon AVR-X4300H with Q Acoustics 3000 Cinema Speakers
Denon AVR-X4300H with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 AV Speakers
Denon AVR-X4300H with KEF Q300 AV Speakers

The last question is, would it be better to get a pair of TALL speakers for the rears.

Thank you.
Alex.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Any of the three speaker packages you mention would be fine. They do all have slightly different signature sounds associated with them so it is more a matter of your personal preference as opposed to which of them may or may not be suitable. You'd need to audition them to appraise this.

No, I'd not suggest you use floorstanding speakers as surrounds. Floorstanders require more space than smaller cabinet speakers and are not the best option for close location to walls and or corners.

Maybe the Monitor Audio speakers would be your best option given that the supplied surrounds with that package will be the Bronze FX speakers. THese are bipole/dipole speakers and uou could use them on the rear wall set to their bipole mode. This would help disperse their output and help compensate for your close proximity to them. You may find this thread of interest:
Ideal Placement of Bipole Surround Speakers.

It is a little late to mention this to you now, but you could have probably got the receiver and speakers for less than you'll be paying for them if you'd bought both as a bundle at the same time from the same retailer?

Another issues is that of Atmos and or DTS:X? Are you interested in accessing Atmos soundtracks? If so then you need more speakers, either upward firing, height or ceiling speakers to be able to do so. Ceiling speakers would be the most effective option if you can accomodate them?

Last edited:

Intelz

Hi dante01,
Thank you for your detailed reply and the link to the thread.
I may be adding up firing Atmos speakers at a later date, so can you confirm that the Monitor Audio Speakers will still be fine when adding up firing Atmos.

Once again Thank you.
Alex.

gibbsy

As dante has said any of the speaker packages would be fine. The KEF Q Series represent really good value for money at the moment and KEF does tend to fit in well with any Denon receiver. The Q package I would personally look for is Q300 x 2, Q100 x 2, Q600 x 1. The present Q Series is probably now limited to available stock as the newer model is soon to hit suppliers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi dante01,
Thank you for your detailed reply and the link to the thread.
I may be adding up firing Atmos speakers at a later date, so can you confirm that the Monitor Audio Speakers will still be fine when adding up firing Atmos.

Once again Thank you.
Alex.

Yes, any of the speaker packages will be fine if adding upfiring speakers at a later date. I would have suggested in ceiling speakers as being better though.

logiclee

Again any of your choices would be good and I'd also agree that floorstanders for surrounds only really work well if you have a big space and they can stand in some free space.
I'd also check out B&W's offerings as I know from experience they are great with the x4300h

And as said above carefully consider atmos/dts:X it will be a lot easier doing the install complete from the beginning than trying to add too later and having to run fresh cables and re-do the calibration.

Lee

Intelz

Thank you all for your vast experienced replies.
Unfortunately I have no idea HOW I would get the cable up the wall and across the ceiling and my wife would probably kill me as we have just re-decorated.
So I can get the cabling in place, would the up firing atmos speakers be put at the front next to the TV speakers or the rear speakers?
Thank You
Alex.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The upfiring speakers would ideally be placed on top of the left and right front speakers if only using 2 of them.

You may find this guide useful:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

snapshot001.jpg

Intelz

Hi,
Need some advice.
I am in the process of installing some speaker cables.
I am running these under the floor boards by drilling a hole at one end and another one at the oposite end and fishing the cable through.

Question is, do I need specific speaker cable for this?
I have read that you should use CL2 or CL3 cable for in wall installation.
Although I am going to be running is under the floor boards where there is a gap of around 1.5 feet between floor boards and concrete base.
Thanks.
Alex.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Need some advice.
I am in the process of installing some speaker cables.
I am running these under the floor boards by drilling a hole at one end and another one at the oposite end and fishing the cable through.

Question is, do I need specific speaker cable for this?
I have read that you should use CL2 or CL3 cable for in wall installation.
Although I am going to be running is under the floor boards where there is a gap of around 1.5 feet between floor boards and concrete base.
Thanks.
Alex.

No special or specific type of speaker wire is required.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom