1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Purchase Brightness Query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by s2holdings, Apr 24, 2005.

1. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I am looking at purchasing soon a BenQ PB2110 Projector.

I have looked through the advice on Pro-Central and have calculated the throw distance and the screen size. But it is giving me the advice that the picture maybe to bright.

I did not want a particularly big screen but i thought 80 - 90" will be fine for me until i get a bigger/dedicated cinema room.

Would a throw distance of 3.5m to 4m give a bright image that will over saturate the others???

The screen has a Gain of 1.0 annd i will be operating this in Widescreen only

Thanks

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    I can't find that model on Projector Central.

Most advertised lumen figures are typically 40% higher than you will actually get when it is producing an image that is acceptable for video, i.e. out of the box. It will decrease with age until it reaches half brightness and needs changing.

Divide the screen area into the lumens (then multiply by the gain if it has any) and that will give you a figure of reflected light - ft lamberts. You're looking for between 12 and 16 for 'cinema levels'. If you choose a 16:9 screen that is 7.5ft wide viewable, then the area will be 31.6 square feet. If the lumens figure is for a 4:3 area, then you will have to reduce the lumens accordingly.

If the image is brighter than you would like, you can easily reduce it by half by adding an ND2 lens filter. The advantage of the filter is that you can remove it at any time to get some brightness back as the lamp dims with age.

Gary.

3. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0