New purchase advice please

Jeremyw78

Standard Member
Reaction score
After much deliberation I have decided to purchase a Plasma instead of LCD.

I had pretty much had my heart set on the Pioneer 428XD, however I am seriously tempted to go with the new Panasonic PZ70 thus saving myself around £5-600. As with any purchase of AV I trust my own eyes and ears. However a little advice and opinion of others always helps! I will be keeping the TV for at least the next 5 years.

I viewed both the Pioneer and the Panasonic at the weekend. Both were running thorough a Pioneer Blueray player, I was overwhelming impressed with both. Unfortunately the two sets were not side by side and I was therefore unable to have a perfect comparison. For some reason I was slightly swayed towards the Pioneer. Has anyone seen the two sets side by side?

I want to purchase a TV that will be as future proof as possible. I note the Panasonic only has v1.2 HDMI thus not accepting the future releases of HD formats (I’m sure these will be available within the next couple of years) is this a major drawback? The power consumption also worries my slightly. The plus points, as I see them, are that the Panasonic is a full HD and accepts 24fps which as I understand helps with motion judder, is that correct?

I haven’t seen what the quality of SD is like on either of the sets I would appreciate comments from anyone that has. I will be getting Sky HD but of course most programming will be in SD.

Would appreciate comments on the above. Should I pay the extra £600 and go for 428XD? Should I wait for six months and get next gen of Panasonics with 1.3 HDMI etc etc ? I never though buying a new TV could be such a dilemma!

Hi,

I saw on the What HiFi sound and vision magazine forum that the next issue of the magazine (due out thursday) has a 42" screen supertest. I suspect that there will be LCD and Plasma in the mix, and from the comments I have read, the 428/4280 will be in the review (given the noises everyone is making I would be surprised if it wasn't).

I am also hoping that they will include the new Z series 1080p panasonic in the supertest, to see how this screen performs.

My guess is that the pio will come out on top, but I am hoping the Z series will close the gap, encouraging the pio prices lower to compete :)

From what I have read about the Z series though, it might not display 1080/24p as well as the pioneer (in 72hz refresh mode).

Hope this helps.

In what HiFi the review was with the 42PX70BA, 42PZ70 and the Pioneer 428XD and the 428XD won overall. Its a fantastic screen and the brightness of the 42 1080p panny is pretty low due to the size of the pixels. Best of staying 720p tbh if you are on a 42inch. Any larger sreen i would recommend a 1080p but in my honest opinion its not worth it on a 42".

I'm waiting to see the new LX508D that we just got in. :-D

//me drewls

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom