1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PSU for PC - Recomend me one!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by texasboy, Jun 24, 2004.

1. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As the question states as would like to buy a new PSU for my PC.

There are so many different types available and I'm a little lost.
    I am prepared to spend upto £100.00 ish (maybe a LITTLE more for the right one).

The main spec of my current machine is as follows
    P4 2.4Ghz O/C to 2.88Ghz
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
    1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel Ram
    120Gb Maxtor SATA
    Geforce 4 Ti4800SE
    Audigy 2ZS Soundcard
    Pioneer DVD-Rom
    LG CD-Rewriter
    Firewire Card (for Ipod etc)
    Chieftec Dragon Case

I will be upgrading my grfx card over the next couple of months to either the Nvidia 6800 or the Radeon X800 (I will be buying the flagship model and am led to believe that the 6800 may require a power connection?)

The processor will also be upgraded in due course and another Maxtor added as it is nearly full.

I am using 5 case fans as well, so Molex connectors are important.

Any got any thoughts or reccomendations :lease:

Thanks in advance

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I have just bought a 400w Zalman Quiet PC PSU, and it does excatly what it says on the tin, loads of connectors and very very quiet. I got it for £80 from Tottenham Court Road, London.

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/psu.php#zalman

3. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Right, after reading a number of different reviews and comparing spec's on manufacturers websites I've bitten the bullet.

I've ordered an Antec TrueControl 550W with front voltage controls on a 5.25 drive slot.

Virtually everything I've read on this unit is 100% positive and it seems to offer the flexilbility I require for my PC in the future.

£89.00 plus £4 p&p so I came in just under budget :smashin:

Now for that new graphics card............................

4. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one I use is a Tagan 480W 21dB PSU: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=82572

Overclockers (www.overclockers.co.uk) have it for exactly the same price. Delivery will be about £7 from Scan and about £5 from Overclockers?

This is a brilliant power supply. It supports both single and multiprocessor boards, Xeon boards, has a whole slew of current stabilisation features to protect the rather expensive guts of your PC and more power connectors than you can count on both hands (including SATA power connectors). It has 2 fans that act to remove air from your case - you might want to factor that in when you look at your fan configuration.

If you want more, Globalwin do a nice range of power supplies: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Globalwin_psu.html

but they cost somewhat more than your price limit (19 dBA 520W supply = £146.76 inc. VAT, 22 dBA = £123.38). These have the same electrical stabilisation features as the Tagan supply, but no multiprocessor support or SATA connectors as far as I can tell.

-EDIT- Just realised that the Globalwin won't do due to the lack of SATA power connectors.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you want a silent, well built and well-featured PSU then a SilenX is the only way to go, you can get one delivered from www.soadvanced.com for £99. I have one in my lounge in my HCPC and it really is silent, you just can't tell that it's on. The one I have is a 450W version and would easily cope with that setup. If silence isn't paramount then I'd get one of the Tagan's mentioned above, these are superb for the money, very well built, very beefy.

HTH
    Owain

6. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Owain,

Is there a noticable noise difference between the Tagan and the SilenX?? I've just got the Tagan for my HTPC but need a new PSU for the music server PC and wondered if it worth getting the SilenX to quiet the HTPC down some more.

It's quiet pricey so it would be good to know if you can notice the difference....manufacturer specs don't really mean much

Ta

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'd agree about the quoted noise levels, from my experience and all that I've read I think you can safely ignore the quoted noise levels from manufacturers, there is no "standard" way to measure the sound and it's doubtful many would go to the expense of hiring an anechoic chamber to get accurate readings even if there was.

The difference between the tagan and the silenx is easily audible, or, in the case of the silenx, inaudible :) I honestly cannot hear whether the PC is on or not at anything more than about 6" from the back and not at all from the front of the unit. The only time where I was able to detect a faint (but not in any way annoying or intrusive) "whir" was when we had that very hot spell a couple of weeks back: my HCPC is setup in the living room and the back faces out of large plate glass window so it gets pretty hot, the temps in the room must've been high 20s/low 30s and I was using it to drive a stock P4 3Ghz, 1GB corsair RAM, 1 HD, 1DVD drive, radeon 9600SE, the temp sensor cranked the fan volts up a touch to cope. Other than that it's inaudible.

For a comparison my widescreen TV's transformer (toshiba 36zd26p) makes more noise when turned on, the silenx really is as quiet as everyone says.

The tagan on the other hand is definitely audible, not objectively "loud" but you know it's there.

My conclusion would be: If you absolutely MUST have the quiestest possible PSU and thats all that counts, then the SilenX is the only choice - if this is your aim then it's definitely worth the money. If, on the other hand, you want a pretty damn quiet, very well built, hard as nails, lots of features PSU the Tagan will suit you fine, just don't expect it to be quiet enough to have on in a noiseless living room and not hear it.

HTH
    Owain

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've also been considering a New quiet PSU. I've been suffering from too high CPU temp (50Deg Idle) since overclocking my Athlon 2400+ and the idea of the extra fan in the Tagan to extract case heat is attractive.

I'm just upgrading to a Athlon 2500+(Mobile) which can overclock a lot more. Will the Tagan then be an advantage over the SilenX in my case as it help with heat extraction?

Cheers,

Mark.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    If you're suffering with a hot CPU reducing the ambient temperature wont make that much of a difference unless your case is *really* hot..

What CPU cooler do you have?

If you're gonna be overclocking a 2500 you want something decent in there..

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Mark,

It's a good point that the SilenX is quite poor at cooling as it only has one fan. It does produce very little in the way of airflow. That said the mobile athlon might be a lot cooler any way (although maybe not when you're done OCing it!). For me it would still come down to what your priority is: If you don't need an ABSOLUTELY silent PSU then save the money and the worry about cooling and go with the Tagan. If silence is the way then it'll have to be the SilenX, possibly with the addition of a silent case fan like an undervolted panaflow or an acoustifan from quietpc. One word of caution though, the silenX is SO good that it'll make other parts of your setup seem loud, it made the original Samsung spinpoints in my HCPC far too noticeable - it may end up costing more than just the difference between the tagan and the silenx in the end ;)

Owain

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a large Zalman Heatsink replacing the fan on my Radeon 9500 and a ThermalRight Heat Sink similar to the ones here with a panaflow 92mm fan blowing directly down on it.

The main problem is that my LMP case doesn't really allow for intercase cooling, there is room to put a fan at the front, but nowhere near anything that would benefit from it. I've a feeling that the slowly accumilating heat within the case can't be helping matters.

Well I reckon the Tagan will be quiet enough as my HT room is HUGE and the HTPC is already adequately quiet with it's Seasonic PSU and CPU panaflow. Adding the extraction benefit seems to make sense. Having said that..If the 2500+(M) runs sufficiently cooler overclocked that the 2400+ I have then I may go for the SilenX, it does sound fabulous, or rather should a I say "It doesn't sound?".

I had previously "Underclocked" my CPU to keep it really cool as there never used to be anything that required so much CPU muscle. Things have changed a lot over the past few months with the introduction of WM9, FFDShow's rise in popularity etc.

BTW. What should the "My Computer" Properties page be reporting for an Athlon 2400+? Mine seems to be showing as an "AMD Duron(TM) Processor @ 2.13Ghz

THat doesn't seem right does it? I'm running Bios Rev 1007 (one away from the last release but new enough to have the right CPU info).

All very strange, but also getting away from the PSU topic off this thread. Looking like the Tagan PSU for me.

Mark.

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    getting heat out is the main priority, and is best achieved (IMO) by creating as big a negative pressure as you can manage at the rear of the case..

On that basis, if you can't mount any rear case fans, the tagan PSU seems to be the better idea.. should still be nice & quiet all things considered..

'My Computer' seems to just make up CPU identity sometimes.. it's maybe confused as your Athlon is running in non-standard config..

13. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Another Silenx user here. Not had any problems with case temps and it is virtually silent, an incredible piece of kit :)

14. witty_name

witty_name

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would people recommend at the more budget end of the quiet PSU spectrum? Noise isn't too big a deal for my HTPC setup, so I don't want to spend loads.

15. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The tagan has very little airflow through it and the second fan very rarely is activated. If you want a good PSU to also extract heat from your case I would suggest an antec true power/true control. They are a little noisier than the Tagans but thats the price you pay for the extra cooling. Although really why not mod your case to add extra fan holes if you have none avaliable, and but a SilenX fan, which can be as low as 11dB, which is virtualy inaudible. Their 120mm fans also move a reasonable ammount of air at that noise level.

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    SilenX PSU user here too.

Got a 300W in my Athlon 2000+ PC and a 400W in my Athlon64 3000+ PC. Both albsolutley silent and cool enough.