New PSU causing Windows blue screen!

Barbs

Novice Member
Hi all,

need a bit of help. I just installed a new 500W PSU into a Dell Dimension 5000 (replaced the standard 305W one) - it all appears to work fine. When I restart the PC I get a windows Blue screen. If I restart again it works fine and has no issues at all - confused.

Can anyone help? I can not see why XP would blue screen every 2nd reboot?

Any advice - things to check? Have I missed a connection somewhere?

Thanks,

Kieran.

Barbs

Novice Member
For futher info....

the PC bluescreens now all the time with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message. I can not get past this screen.

I have also recently installed a 7900GS but I suspect that this is not the issue as it has been working for a week now without incident.

Bagger

What make/brand psu is it.
A cheap 500w psu could have less power than your standard 350 watt dell.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
For futher info....

the PC bluescreens now all the time with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message. I can not get past this screen.

I have also recently installed a 7900GS but I suspect that this is not the issue as it has been working for a week now without incident.
I would say it is related to the gfx card.... on startup keep pressing F8 till you get the os select screen... choose safe mode, once your at the desktop uninstall the graphics's card drivers, reboot as normal, and re -install graphics drivers.

Curly

Barbs

Novice Member
What make/brand psu is it.
A cheap 500w psu could have less power than your standard 350 watt dell.

It is a Termaltake Purepower TWV 500W.

From googling a cause could be the video memory - so considering I recently installed a new GPU, could this be the suspect?

I repalced it with the old 6600GT and got the system working again, re-installed the 7900GS and drivers....and so far so good. But I would concerned about this happening again.

Barbs

Novice Member
I would say it is related to the gfx card.... on startup keep pressing F8 till you get the os select screen... choose safe mode, once your at the desktop uninstall the graphics's card drivers, reboot as normal, and re -install graphics drivers.

Curly

Thanks - our replies crossed each other.:) I'll do that now.

Barbs

Novice Member

Curly

Done this and all seems well - for now. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Barbs

Novice Member
Actually I was a bit optimistic with that last post!!

The blue screen is still happening with the same PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error :mad:.

I have tired to tie it down - but there is no real pattern. Previously I noticed strange issues with the display - but the driver refresh does seem to have cured this (so far). The blue screen is still failry frequent on reboot though.

It happens on reboot, restart, boot from cold, reboot after running all day..... or sometimes everything is fine.

I have tried GFX drivers from inno3d and nvidia - but no luck getting the system stable.

Any advice?

Kieran.

Razor

A bit of a long shot here but have you tested to see if your memory is ok. Try downloading memtest and running it.

Try all your memory (assuming you have 2 sticks), then try one memory stick at a time.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Barbs

Novice Member
Just an update on the saga with my PC.

the bluescreen is still happening. I managed to investigate the minidump files and it points to an issue with the NV4_DISP.dll.... a quick google of that and it appears that this is part of the Nvidia driver. The PSU was a bad coincidence!

It appears that alot of people are having issues with this driver and more annoying is that there does not seem to be a consensus of resolving it :mad:

I have tired:
- cleaning out the nvidia drivers
- re-installing the latest nvidia drivers from Inno3d and Nvidia
- re-installing older drivers from Nvidia
- updating other system drivers (BIOs, Soundcard etc)
- pulling my fecking hair out!!!!
but no real joy.

The machine is very stable once it boots - it just takes about 5 attempts to get that!

So unless anyone else has any other ideas :)lease:) I'll just keep trying different drivers....failing that a re-install of XP :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom