• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New PSU - advice appreciated

iijoclu

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new PSU as a gift for someone. His PC is relatively old at the moment but he wants to upgrade it soon with an i5 CPU + GTX 960 or maybe GTX 970. I want this PSU to easily support this kind of configuration but what I'm looking for is a very reliable source which would potentially be able to support any further upgrades apart from this one.

My budget varies. I am not in a hurry therefore I do have time to find the best deal around. Ideally it would be around £60 but do not hesitate to recommend £100 PSUs as long as they are top notch.

I want it to be silent as well - it is quite important.

I was looking at this one:
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PC Power Supply - Gold: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Also, what would be the difference between these 2 Corsair PSUs?
Corsair CP-9020055-UK RM Series RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thank you!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Corsair's RM series is above the C series models, so it'll use higher quality components.

Although all three of those units have fans so they won't technically be silent, although they could be very quiet. What about Seasonic's Platinum 520 Fanless?

discover

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new PSU as a gift for someone. His PC is relatively old at the moment but he wants to upgrade it soon with an i5 CPU + GTX 960 or maybe GTX 970. I want this PSU to easily support this kind of configuration but what I'm looking for is a very reliable source which would potentially be able to support any further upgrades apart from this one.

My budget varies. I am not in a hurry therefore I do have time to find the best deal around. Ideally it would be around £60 but do not hesitate to recommend £100 PSUs as long as they are top notch.

I want it to be silent as well - it is quite important.

I was looking at this one:
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PC Power Supply - Gold: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Also, what would be the difference between these 2 Corsair PSUs?
Corsair CP-9020055-UK RM Series RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thank you!
For me.. The PSU is the most important component in a rig. Generally on a high end system, the PSU should cost the equivalent of 10% of the total cost of the system.
I was about to recommend the Super Flower Leadex 750W Gold or Platinum (only a tenner difference) but if you want to stay future proof with upgrades or maybe a second GPU down the later, I'd be looking at 850W.
The EVGA G2 unit you linked to is a fantastic PSU and is actually exactly the same PSU internally as the Super Flower as they are the ones who have manufactured that PSU.
The only difference between the two is EVGA give you a massive 10 year warranty (if you register within the first 30 days) whereas the SF give you 5 with the Leadex.
Not sure about the EVGA G2 but the SF Leadex does have a zero-rpm mode for complete silence and does look a lot nicer especially with the sockets lighting up white at the PSU end.
PS - I would stay well clear of both those Corsair PSU's as both are very cheaply built, poor soldiering using all Chinese capacitors. If you must go Corsair then the HXi/AXi and the newer RMi range of PSU is where I'd be looking but the EVGA or the SF 850 will be your best bang for buck.

iijoclu

Novice Member
Thank you for your answers.

Corsair's RM series is above the C series models, so it'll use higher quality components.

Although all three of those units have fans so they won't technically be silent, although they could be very quiet. What about Seasonic's Platinum 520 Fanless?

£128 is well over my budget. Very quiet I'm sure would be fine. Noise is relevant but not as relevant as to specifically focus on it when buying the PSU.

To be honest, I fancy the EVGA PSU more between the 2. Now I need to decide whether it's worth buying such an expensive PSU as this gift is actually a PSU + an SSD, so somehow I have to sacrifice one over the other. I was looking at 512 GB SSDs and they're well over £100 so that's why I was thinking of getting a £50-£60 PSU and a more expensive SSD as otherwise it's over my budget.

What would you recommend for a £50-£60 PSU?

Thank you!

NineBitOG

Novice Member
The EVGA 750W PSU that you've listed is more than enough and is really efficient as its rated gold. If you are purchasing the PSU from amazon, then select the seller as amazon itself as they sell it brand new for the cheapest price.

nespresco

A GTX 970 will only require 150W (probably less). With an i5 running at stock and standard components your total power requirements are likely to be 300W or less. Therefore a 550W-600W PSU would be perfectly adequate for your needs, unless you have plans to SLI a pair of 970s or go with a different GPU then a 750W PSU is overkill. If you google 'GTX 970 power consumption' you will find plenty of examples where people have calculated and posted supporting figures.

You can find an excellent list of PSUs Here I would personally recommend a tier 1 super flower or seasonic OEM PSU, although for your needs a tier 2 would also be fine.
Jonny Guru also has some excellent reviews regarding build quality and efficiency.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom