New PS3 bought since network went down?

Bigsmoke79

Established Member
Reaction score
I had my PS3 YLOD on just prior to the network going down so old account wasnt deactivated! and now I have bought a new slim for it returning, will I have to setup a brand new PSN ID? or will there be a way of recovering it on my new machine?

Not that fussed on my trophies as I am a casual gamer, but more concerned about my friends list.

Hiya, i had the same as you but before the network went down, and just logged my details in the PS and yes all was fine, well apart you lose all the saved game data, but all was gd for Black opps thou ( online saved data )

Hiya, i had the same as you but before the network went down, and just logged my details in the PS and yes all was fine, well apart you lose all the saved game data, but all was gd for Black opps thou ( online saved data )

are you able to log in then?

No buddy, it happened just as the network went down, so yes i logged in then, but not since like everyone else.

I had my PS3 YLOD on just prior to the network going down so old account wasnt deactivated! and now I have bought a new slim for it returning, will I have to setup a brand new PSN ID? or will there be a way of recovering it on my new machine?

Not that fussed on my trophies as I am a casual gamer, but more concerned about my friends list.

Just log in with the same credentials on the new PS3 and the trophies, friend list, etc will come accross. You may need to go through the email verification process to set up the account though rather than just being able to reset the password on the new PS3.

I tried to log in yesterday, about 9am, on my new PS3 slim (also got YLOD!) and got the message 'an email has been sent to 'email address' follow instructions to reset password'
Nearly 24 hours later, I'm still waiting. It does state it can take up to 24 hours for the mail to come through, but I cannot see it. Bloody annoying and Sony are trying to make us like them again!

Last edited:
Just log in with the same credentials on the new PS3 and the trophies, friend list, etc will come accross. You may need to go through the email verification process to set up the account though rather than just being able to reset the password on the new PS3.

Cheers Kendall, yeah it wouldn't let me change it so I have to go through the email verification which just happens to be a complete mess! Still waiting on my email and that's about 36hours now!

You know what with the whole YLOD thing etc happening just prior to this Sony seem to be doing their upmost to **** me off! I genuinely regret forking out the money for a new slim PS3! I have a 360 as well with live and really should have just stuck with that.

Exactly the same issue here, my ps3 ylod the night psn went down.... strange as this has happened to so many people.

anyways on my new slim i got the same message. an email has been sent to you to reset your password.. this is 48 hours ago now with nothing.. this is using a hotmail account.

received 3 emails this morning.. which are now over 3 hours old so no good.. and now request a new one as its says its currently undergoing maintenance.

I'm guessing that the sheer number of people trying to log in has caused problems for Sony and they've had to shut the network again. Still no email and PSN down since Tuesday. Not the kind of relaunch Sony would gave wanted I'm guessing. Hope they extend the Welcome Back Pack offer length. At this rate it'll have expired and no one will have managed to get anything!
Come on Sony. Sort it properly before announcing to the world you're back up and running!

I'm guessing that the sheer number of people trying to log in has caused problems for Sony and they've had to shut the network again.

Sony confirmed that the problem was in fact a URL exploit which was identified to them. They haven't confirmed the details themselves but it is widely reported elsewhere that the exploit allowed your password to be reset by anyone who knew your email address and date of birth and that this could be done without you confirming the change!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom