1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PS2 Remote - Will it power off a slimline PS2??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Paul O, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi everyone, I'm thinking of purchasing a new slimline PS2 (trade in my old one and get it for £39 - bargain!).

I've seen the new remote control available with what looks to be a power button now on the remote. Does this mean that it will turn the machine on and off, or is it just a reset button?

Heres a picture - the manual on the website is still referring to the old model, as the new one doesn't come with an IR reciever (needs to be on the PS2 already).
    Picture of PS2 Remote

Thanks in advance people! :thumbsup:

Paul.

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,406
    OK, excuse the possibly dumbass question here but apart from the sizes, what are the differences between the old PS2 and the new slimline one?

3. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The only difference seems to be it is smaller and has no disc drive.Instead half the top opens like the original playstation.

4. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It also has the network capabliltiy built in (no need for the add-on) and has the IR port within the machine. The fan is also much quieter than the superload one that was put in the original PS2. I'd like to use it as a DVD player in the bedroom, but the fan - and lack of power-off from the remote - has meant its not possible - until now (hopefully, hence the question)!

plus in my tiny house, I need all the space I can get (and the original one is getting a bit dusty - save on housework! :D )

Although have to admit, wasn't aware the the drive popped open - thought it was a slimline loader. :eek:

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,406
    OK thanks guys. Not enough to warrant me buying the new one then. I hear that online PS2 gaming isn't particulary great?