1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New projector??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rich928, Jul 21, 2004.

1. rich928

rich928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new on the forum and looking for some advice. I've got an old Infocus 740 which is on it's last legs and is due to be replaced! I've spent the last month reading reviews and getting up to speed on what’s hot and what’s not for the budget home cinema enthusiast. I'm looking at a budget of a £1000 and I’m sure even at this entry level what ever I buy will be miles ahead of my old 740.

The projector I’ve been looking at is the Screenplay 4800 which according to a review in this month's what hi-fi is still awarded 5 stars and seems to dismiss more expensive competition. The Themescene H30 was there group test winner but is just out of my price range as I’ve found the Screen play for £800. I would really appreciate any input, what else should I be considering for under £1000???? :)

2. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I just got a 4805 - it is around £1295. It was the best quality picture I saw for a projector under £3K. Sounds to good to be true - but its was.

Its diff from the orig 4800 in a few ways - its 16:9 native so better for DVD's.
    It also has more Colour Wheels & Segments so the Rainbow Effect is minimised.

I would try and find the extra £300.

Have a look here - if you want more peoples opinions...
    AVSFOURM Official 4805 Link

3. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too started down this road, but considered the Infocus X1 (£580 at ebuyer, last time I looked), which is the same machine as the 4800. But I ended up purchasing the Themescene H30 as I felt it was streets ahead of the 4800.

I demoed both machines, albeit not in the same store and was so much more impressed by the H30. the colours were deeper, blacks were black and I hardly noticed the rainbows, which I spotted easily on the 4800. Although my wife didn't spot any on either of the machines. My wife was also more impressed by the H30 and she has no interest in projectors.....or home cinema for that matter :rolleyes:

For me the extra cash was worth it, so consider a demo and see if you can save for a little longer!!

4. leonrider

leonrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased the 4805 for £1300 including a screen. I am very pleased with it, the short throw suits my room and the 6 segment colour wheel reduces the rbe effect. I would recomend this unit to anyone who is considering a projector in this price range.