• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New projector time!

majsvibe

hello everyone!

Right ive been dreaming about a projector for years now selling my pioneer telly am almost certain am getting a Infocus IN83:thumbsup: After nagging my mum to have to small room shes finally agreed to give it me. Its not a massive room was previous used as a closet.

Its 12ft in height and about 5ft wide. After a quite measurement i`ll have 7ft wide and 5ft in height. So i have a few questions with the distances of 12ft is it possible to fill a size of 7 by 5 ft screen? i`ll be painting the room any idea what colour will be best?

I was thinking off painting the room a dark purple and just wondering will the projector be ok without a screen? What are the pros and cons to this? am a student with two jobs i`ll just about be able to afford the IN83 for the moment and then see how things go without a screen. For the guys who hook up everything to the project any wise advice for all the wiring? the projector will be placed on top of a cabinet which is rather perfect for it. At the moment i`ll be hooking up a PS3, 360, Wii and in the future a sky HD box.

Please do share your experiances setting up you projectors and pictures as always more helpful.

cheers
maj

IRobot

Congrats on getting a projector. Nothing beats the cinematic awesomeness of a PJ. But I would definitely put part of your budget on a screen of some sort otherwise you won't get the best out a decent PJ like the IN83.

I got a fixed screen to replace my rollup screen a couple of days ago from "avpartsmaster". Cheapest place on the web I could find and really good screen too.

This site might help to see if you can get the right size image for an IN83:-

Projection Calculator Classic - Throw Distance and Screen Size

Infocus PJ's aren't very flexible when it comes to positioning so better check carefully before you buy or get an LCD PJ instead.

As for wiring it all up, most people use an av receiver of some sort and just have the one HDMI cable going up to the PJ.

majsvibe

Congrats on getting a projector. Nothing beats the cinematic awesomeness of a PJ. But I would definitely put part of your budget on a screen of some sort otherwise you won't get the best out a decent PJ like the IN83.

I got a fixed screen to replace my rollup screen a couple of days ago from "avpartsmaster". Cheapest place on the web I could find and really good screen too.

This site might help to see if you can get the right size image for an IN83:-

Projection Calculator Classic - Throw Distance and Screen Size

Infocus PJ's aren't very flexible when it comes to positioning so better check carefully before you buy or get an LCD PJ instead.

As for wiring it all up, most people use an av receiver of some sort and just have the one HDMI cable going up to the PJ.

thanks dude its been along wait ;) at the moment it`ll just be a temp setup until our house gets done you see which will be by summer time. So i was thinking of using a normal wall for the moment. do you think it`ll be ok?

jacko5

hello everyone!

Right ive been dreaming about a projector for years now selling my pioneer telly am almost certain am getting a Infocus IN83:thumbsup: After nagging my mum to have to small room shes finally agreed to give it me. Its not a massive room was previous used as a closet.

Its 12ft in height and about 5ft wide. After a quite measurement i`ll have 7ft wide and 5ft in height. So i have a few questions with the distances of 12ft is it possible to fill a size of 7 by 5 ft screen? i`ll be painting the room any idea what colour will be best?

I was thinking off painting the room a dark purple and just wondering will the projector be ok without a screen? What are the pros and cons to this? am a student with two jobs i`ll just about be able to afford the IN83 for the moment and then see how things go without a screen. For the guys who hook up everything to the project any wise advice for all the wiring? the projector will be placed on top of a cabinet which is rather perfect for it. At the moment i`ll be hooking up a PS3, 360, Wii and in the future a sky HD box.

Please do share your experiances setting up you projectors and pictures as always more helpful.

cheers
maj
The IN83 is reported to be an excellent projector, but is a bit inflexible in setting up. Having no lens shift, it will need to be either ceiling mounted (upside down), or placed on a low table, right way up. Secondly it has a small zoom range, which makes it difficult to obtain a large image in as small a room as yours. Remember the throw distance is from the front of the lens to the screen surface,which would bring your throw down below 11feet.
Assuming a throw of 10'6" at maximum zoom you will obtain an image size of 68"x38".

If you can get hold of one, I would suggest a JVC HD350 which will produce an image of similar quality and allow you to place it right way up on top of your cabinet and throw an image to fill your wall.

majsvibe

The IN83 is reported to be an excellent projector, but is a bit inflexible in setting up. Having no lens shift, it will need to be either ceiling mounted (upside down), or placed on a low table, right way up. Secondly it has a small zoom range, which makes it difficult to obtain a large image in as small a room as yours. Remember the throw distance is from the front of the lens to the screen surface,which would bring your throw down below 11feet.
Assuming a throw of 10'6" at maximum zoom you will obtain an image size of 68"x38".

If you can get hold of one, I would suggest a JVC HD350 which will produce an image of similar quality and allow you to place it right way up on top of your cabinet and throw an image to fill your wall.

what do you mean by a throw distance? am alittle confused here and the IN 83 is something ive already purchased ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom