New projector focus issue

pixel8

Hi all.
I have recently had a warranty replacement Optoma UHD42 and I believe (hope) it "is" new and not a refurb.
Since setting it up in the original position of previous PJ there is a very obvious issue with the focus. If i focus the top, the bottom
focus is out and if i focus the bottom, the top is out?
With an accurate horizontal and vertical level, the focus is good about half way up to top of picture but loses focus
from half way to the bottom of the picture. I've posted a pic to explain better. The keystone is zero and the vertical shift is almost
at max but even moving the pj up or down from vertical centre doesn't change the problem...Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance
Kind regards
Smiley:)

Attachments

• pjpic.jpeg
    pjpic.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 53
  • pjpic2.jpeg
    pjpic2.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 51

pixel8

Anyone help... :lease:

pixel8

Sounds like your pj may possibly not be true, have you has a spirit level on it?
I have and it’s vertically and horizontally level…🤔
Ill say also that this pj replaced another optoma uhd42 which didn’t have this issue… looking for the most likely cause but also wondering if the pj could be faulty?

sim12

I have and it’s vertically and horizontally level…🤔
Ill say also that this pj replaced another optoma uhd42 which didn’t have this issue… looking for the most likely cause but also wondering if the pj could be faulty?
It was just a thought and the most obvious thing it could be, sound like it could be faulty.

pixel8

Don't leave it a moment longer, reject it and get another replacement and insist it is new.
Hi…so do you think it’s faulty then…what would cause the focus issue?
I bought the original unit from Richer sounds and got this one under warranty exchange from Optoma and the packaging was all sealed and looked new. Are there any other checks or tests i caN do to rule out a fault before contacting them? Thanks 🙏

Last edited:

DB9S

Hi…so do you think it’s faulty then…what would cause the focus issue?
I bought the original unit from Richer sounds and got this one under warranty exchange from Optoma and the packaging was all sealed and looked new. Are there any other checks or tests i caN do to rule out a fault before contacting them? Thanks 🙏
Your original one didn't have the issue. This one does. Therefore either your geometry has changed (which i believe you say it hasn't) or it must be faulty. Therefore it must be faulty. Either way, reject it forthwith. The longer you take they less chance you have of getting another.

pixel8

Ok thanks- I’ll get on the phone to them now 👍

sim12

Your original one didn't have the issue. This one does. Therefore either your geometry has changed (which i believe you say it hasn't) or it must be faulty. Therefore it must be faulty. Either way, reject it forthwith. The longer you take they less chance you have of getting another.
Just out of interest did you contact Epson to see if the your unit was BNIB or a refurbished unit, to my understanding they do send out refurb replacement units to customers when pj's go faulty, not always though, I remember some years back how envious I was when my optoma had to go for repair 3 weeks mine took to get back, whereas people on the Epson thread was getting a 72 hour turn around the catch though being you was getting a completely different unit back(refurb) for the most part.

pixel8

Hi.
72 hr turnaround- wow!
My unit is an Optoma UHD 42 and i never contacted them. My original was from Richer Sounds who then took my initial repair, sent it to Optoma then I received the replacement unit from them. When it arrived it was in a new,sealed, Optoma box. When i opened it up it all looked new, no marks etc but who knows these days?!!!

DB9S

Could have been knocked in transit or simply not put together entirely correctly. Or may just be a faulty lens. These things happen. You are fortunate in a way, that you have already had one that focused correctly across the entire screen, so you know this one isn't right.

pixel8

Yeah, i also set up my Optoma 300x in the same bracket etc and it shows no issues so another pointer to an issue with the other unit. I contacted Richer Sounds and the ball is rolling… thanks again 👍

pixel8

Hi all.
Back again and rather puzzled. I set up the PJ (same one) received back from Richer sounds.
Again, sited as above, same bracket, levelled and other measurements as follows: Lens to screen is 3m 50cm; Middle of lens about 9" 1cm from ceiling; mid lens on screen side means it falls about 1" onto the black border at top of screen; and mid lens is central to the screen from side walls. I have it on keystone 1 as the pic border is slightly uneven this time (never needed it on before)? The lens shift adjustment is set to full to bring the picture up into the screen properly (had this before). So again, I believe all is well but I still have the same issue - Can anyone offer any further advice before I call Richer sounds?
I will say that it looks to me like none of the original seals have been broken or changed as they're exactly the same now as they were in my photos i took before returning it. :confused:

Last edited:

sim12

Hi all.
Back again and rather puzzled. I set up the PJ (same one) received back from Richer sounds.
Again, sited as above, same bracket, levelled and other measurements as follows: Lens to screen is 3m 50cm; Middle of lens about 9" 1cm from ceiling; mid lens on screen side means it falls about 1" onto the black border at top of screen; and mid lens is central to the screen from side walls. I have it on keystone 1 as the pic border is slightly uneven this time (never needed it on before)? The lens shift adjustment is set to full to bring the picture up into the screen properly (had this before). So again, I believe all is well but I still have the same issue - Can anyone offer any further advice before I call Richer sounds?
I will say that it looks to me like none of the original seals have been broken or changed as they're exactly the same now as they were in my photos i took before returning it. :confused:
I would call optoma repair centre and ask what their diagnoses was and the repair made if any, you'll have a serial number on the machine so it should be an issue getting the information from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom