1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New projector, dead pixels after 48 hours...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RichKS, May 3, 2005.

1. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi all,

I recently bought an Epson TW10H from projectorscreen.co.uk after discussing it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207384&page=1&pp=35

It arrived Friday and I set it up with minimal fiddling etc all looks fantastic. On Sunday night though, I spotted a dead pixel about halfway up and 2/3rds of the way accross the screen. It's only a single pixel but it's fixed on green. Now that I know it's there I can't help looking for it!

I appreciate that imperfection is the lot of all things and that dead pixels are a fact of life with LCD kit, but surely I shouldn't accept one on a projector that's only 48 hours old?

I think I'm going to return it, but I wanted opinions first...

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    You need to check what the manufacturers dead pixel warranty is. Some won't help if there are 3 or less dead pixels, for example.

I haven't read the other thread, but if you bought mail order/internet, you can return it within 7 days under Distance Selling Regs anyway.

3. Meddy

Meddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I sympathise with you. My Z3 replacement out of the box had about 8 "dead" pixels dotted all over the screen. I know straight away where to look for them when the picture being displayed is static and has a blue background and i am looking about 2 feet away. They appear green. But when the piture is moving as when watching a film I can't see them. Never mind seeing them from 7 feet away. But you have to bear in mind that my pixels are smaler than yours due to the Z3 having an approx. 1200 x 700 resolution (can't remember the exact resolution! believe it or not.) Because I can't see them when watching a film it has no bearing on my enjoyment of the projector. It's like I know that in my bed there are lots of dust mites but because I can't see them I don't care. Crap analogy but there you go.

So in conclusion then it's entirely up to you. If your gut feeling is to return it then return it for your own piece of mind. But the next one you get could have two or more dead pixels so you would have to return that one. There might be something else wrong with the one to replace the replaced one. And so on. In the end the whole experience might leave you hating projectors forever. And that would be a shame. Remember though that nothing's perfect. You could find fault with everything, anywhere, if you wanted to.

Meddy

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    I always buy my matresses from a supplier that operates a 'zero dust mite' check policy :D

Although I appreciate they can develop over time :(

5. Jack Carter

Jack Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Epson TW10-H has also got three green stuck pixels on it, not happy as projector has less than 10 hrs on it...

6. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not that ive got an LCD but a dead pixel would drive me insane i would sit with lord of the rings on for over 3 hours looking at the dead pixel (im not joking i would do that)

7. Jack Carter

Jack Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny thing, we have a Epson TW10-H bought from projectorscreen.co.uk, and total running time is less than 10 hours, and tonight the kids came round and I stuck on the Xbox, and to my horror I can see 5 green stuck pixels, and one blue stuck pixel. This is not acceptable, so I am about to fire off a email, and will also be on the phone to projectorscreen.co.uk as this is the 2nd Epson TW10-H I had from them, and I paid about £560 inc vat....

I am not willing to have another Epson TW10-H again after this, two on and now these pixels are starting to appear - and the thing is hardly used - well apart from the odd game, and odd fight ....

I can that we may have to op for something better .. Will let you know how I get on, luckily we work for a law firm so should be able to check rights we have.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is the reason i will never buy an LCD PJ. Nuff said.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yep, it's endemic. We all suffer in silence. Dunno why they bother releasing new models like the AE900 / Z4 / TX200/ TW600. They'll all have dead pixels to a unit and no-one will buy 'em.

...PJ

10. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I guess I may be lucky but I had a TW10H for about a month and with 120 hours on the clock I dont see any dead pixels.

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    doesnt DLP hold a stupidly large share of the market tho for home cinema use? (obviously office use is dominated by LCD)

heh

so people dont buy them....*grins*....

12. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you pay for a zero dead pixel guarantee on a projector, and it goes faulty, is the replacement covered under the same guarantee ?

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :smashin: If people are worried about dead pixels (and why not?), buy from somewhere who do a dead pixel check. Much better do this than limit the range of projectors you can choose from ("Nuff said!") :D ...PJ

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Pixel faults can develop in time, and in transit. So I've always wondered what the point of pixel check is!!! It'll filter out the ones already developed, but not those (like all these examples above) that happen in time. And you never see these companies selling off the ones with stuck pixels either so where do they go? The manufacturer certainly isn't taking them back!

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    A very good point. And as this always seems to degenerate into the inevitable and tedious DLP vs LCD debate, the key question must be is one inherently more robust than the other? TI seem to be doing their best to suggest LCD is dead as soon as you switch it on. We've seen enough posts on here though to see that DLP probably produces as many "duds" as LCD.

Perhaps as a respected retailer you can give your thoughts?..PJ

16. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    one dead pixel is better than years of eyestrain!!

had my Tosh MT1 for about 4 years now not a dead pixel in sight.
    guess some of its just luck, no technology is perfect

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dead pixels as a fault (and that's what I'd consider them to be) are overstated, IMO, in terms of their frequency. Yes they happen. Mostly DOA; a few later (very few). But it would be a gross overstatement of the probability to say that every LCD produced has them, or will develop them in fairly short order. That's simply not true.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I too think they are overstated, in the same way that rainbows are overstated for DLP's.

Neither technology is perfect, I just happen to think you get more for your money at the moment with LCD. I wouldn't hesitate to change "camps" if things tipped the other way however...PJ

19. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well lets get this right, dead pixels are probably rare but stuck pixels are as common as dirt. I am sorry but the thought of spending over a grand on a brand spanking new PJ only to find it has a stuck pixel is enough to make me sick. The whole LCD scene is a disgrace and i cannot wait till new technology replaces it then we can have a proper rival to DLP and push the scene forward at competitive prices. At present i bought an LCD monitor with a dead pixel check only to discover that some monitors (the one i bought) is not covered by the DPC as they are shipped from else where so now i have an LCD with a stuck pixel with the dead pixel check refunded and now i will never FULLY enjoy this monitor as all i need to do is look at the bottom right and see a green dot, and to think that this is not classified as faulty by the manufacturers! Anyone who embraces the LCD scene is a fool and is the reason LCD technology is still around today, shame i was forced into getting an LCD monitor for space reasons as now i have to sell this POS and play the lottery game again and pick another LCD.

20. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So that means that you're a fool as well?

21. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is it you don't understand about the word forced? I said i was forced into buying a TFT monitor due to space reasons, hardly embracing it. Learn to read before you run your mouth :rolleyes:

22. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sorry to hear about your space problems.

I hate it when a life or death/no space situation occurs. Theres only one thing to do, whip out the little plastic friend and forget your morals.

I was forced into buying an LCD product myself, although it was slightly different for me - I lusted after the Z3 projector so much that I just couldn't help myself, it was the sexy black chassis that did it.

23. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well this is the thing, even though you are not a fan of the technology the fact that its thrown in your face every way you turn as the market demands it leaves you with little choice. I remember vividly the time i went down to my local Currys and asked where their CRt monitors where as i needed a new one has my old one broke and he pointed me to one, i had one choice of CRT and about 20 choices of TFt so i tried the CRT and it wasn't to my liking so i had to go with a 17inch TFT and although it had no dead pixels i wanted to upgrade to a 19 inch TFt with a way better response rate and instead of being happy i am now annoyed and its bitter sweet as although the monitor is fantastic i just can't embrace this stuck pixel on my screen. Now i can live with it as i paid £200 for it but would i take a risk with a grand? No way.

24. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    FlyingBig - if you bought the monitor by mail order, you were legally entitled to return it if you weren't happy with it for any reason. IMHO that may have been a more constructive solution to your problem than calling everyone on here who enjoys their LCD projectors a fool.

We have bought quite a few LCD monitors at work, and haven't had any problems with stuck pixels on any of them. If we did, we'd return them. I can't see the problem.

25. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the distance selling act is a back door to the dead pixel problem but in my case it does not apply as i was led to believe that i was getting a replacement which did not happen and i found out after 7 days. The fact remains that a monitor with a dead pixel is not classified as faulty and if you bought it in a local retail shop they do not have to replace it for you. Oh by the way i did not call ppl who enjoy their LCD PJs a fool but rather someone who promotes LCD PJs over DLP, in other words someone who favours LCD and will always buy LCD and will recommend LCD PJs to anyone who asks because the end result could be someone will spend a grand on that PJ and could very well end up with a stuck pixel and not be covered for a replacement. Basically to me LCD PJs are not a safe buy as i like to know what state the product is in before it is delivered and with LCD technology its a lottery whether you get a good one or not.

26. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rubbish :p .

:D

27. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Absolute rot.

28. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Complete and utter drivel... :p

29. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If you buy mail order, you have the legal right to return it no questions asked. If you buy from a decent retailer, you can probably return it without fuss too.

Despite whether the manufacturer publically acknowledges stuck pixel is a fault or not, your contract is with the retailer, and I'd be surprised if the county (small claims) court didn't side with the consumer on this one if it came to that.

IMHO FlyingBig's problem is down to buying from a cr*p retailer. The idea that us 'LCD advocates' have somehow ruined the market for everyone is laughable.

30. lw32

lw32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD PJs are prone to more than just dead pixels - vertical banding, dust, poor colour uniformity, screendoor. I'd take a dead pixel over any of those. With DLP you have rainbows to worry about, and that's it! But I'm aware of how bad the RBE can be and that makes LCD the only viable choice. However, if you don't suffer from them I'd recommend DLP every time...

oh and let's not forget the auto iris. In an effort to match DLP contrast they've created a new problem. :thumbsdow

As for LCD monitors, I'm very happy that I dumped that huge CRT for LCD. I agree that the 'dead pixel policy' from some manufacturers is an absolute disgrace - over 8 pixels before it is considered faulty. What a joke. A few of the more enlightened companies are now promising zero dead pixels. A dead pixel is a fault and should be treated as such. QA is much better these days but that's no comfort for those unlucky enough to find them on their nice new monitor.