1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new project

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Enquirer, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I would like advice on Building a HTPC. I fancy building a reasonably high spec HTPC that will also be good for games as well as DVD Music TV etc.

I’m looking at something like
    A BIG 430mm/440mm wide case
    A good high rated PSU
    AMD 64 FX 55
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2 or 3 x 330GBMaxtor Diamond Max Hard drives
    2X 256MB GeForce 6800 Ultras
    2x LG GSA4163 DVD combo drives
    2GB PC3200 Ram
    Widows media centre OS

I would connect the digital audio output to an AV receiver.
    I would like to know if I can link the DVI out put to a Panasonic H-42PHD7 42” Plasma. Are there any HDCP issues?
    Can I run POWERSTRIP ?
    I would like to connect Sky plus into the HTPC which is the best way.

Oh by the way I’ve never built a PC before (I think I’m biting a bit more off than I can chew!)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Some games rig. :D

I don't know that Panny but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't connect using DVI, there'll be no HDCP issues since HDCP is enforced by a sending device, not a receiver, so the fact the Panny *can* support HDCP doesn't mean it wil insist upon it .. no PCs currently are capable of implementing HDCP on their DVI outputs.

Powerstrip shouldn't be a problem, though with recent NVidia control panels you can set a custom resolution directly so PStrip may not be needed.

No idea about Sky+ connectivity, you certainly won't be able to connect digitally, maybe something like Sweetspot will be the answer like it is for normal STBs.

3. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got to be patient, take your time and make sure you get yourself an earthed wrist strap!!!

I know many people just touch the earthed part of the case, but the piece of mind that comes from spending a few quid on a proper strap is worth it.

You cannot see the damage static electricity does to the inside of a chip, so it may continue working when zapped, but be a lot weaker and therefore less reliable. I remember many aeons ago seeing an electron photo of the inside of a 8086 chip (I think) that had been zapped. It was connected by a thread that looked like a big bite had been taken out of it.

When I built mine recently I just got a piece of wood out and did it bit by bit - so lay out motherboard and just use a few screws to stop it moving. Add the processor - use some proper heat compound - add the fan and connect it, add the memory - can only go in one way, connect the power supply and a video cable for your monitor, switch on and see if the BIOS comes up. Then away you go with the rest of the stuff.

Read through the motherboard manual very carefully - ensure s3 is enabled in the power control part of the bios, and wake up from usb, before loading the MCE os.

Remember if it doesn't work switch off have a think, wipe the sweat from the brow, make a cup of tea and have another go,.

I've had a few sweaty moments when building these things myself. But I've never killed anything yet, and if you do then the cost of individual parts is quite low (unless you are using an expensive video card.)

But just keep making sure you are earthed and use the proper conducting bags that everything comes in.

Have fun, look upon it as a new experience, you will learn loads and then be able to help others.

4. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got a nice big case that has removable sides etc, you could forgo the piece of wood - I just didn't have a case and I've found working inside a case a bit difficult when doing a first build with new kit.