1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Project "still at thinking stage"

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Robbie, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Robbie

Robbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you believe that some people think it is more important to have a Christmas tree in the living room than a Hifi?

It was while I packed my kit away into the spare room (having of course put my foot down and insisted that it was going to stay, and getting nowhere) that I made the momentous decision that I need a dedicated cinema / listening room.

I have been into Hifi for many years and although my kit is getting dated and still delivers a nice sound I have been thinking about upgrading to 5.1 (since I watched the Lord of the Rings on a friend’s setup, feeling my stomach rumble when the ring was cut from Sauron’s finger at the start and uttering the words “I have got to get myself one of these”).

So the big question remains……where, how and which kit?

To start with I will deal with the where, get some professional advice on the how and look at the new kit in a separate thread later.

The first (my preferred choice) is to convert the loft. It has a very high apex and if I stud the outside to 1 meter high it should give me a useable space of about 5 meters square with enough room to get a 7 ft screen at the end. Luckily the space is very open with only 1 beam that would be in the way and as it is an old house the ceiling joists are large which structurally shouldn’t need too much additional support. I know I will have to comply with the buildings regulations to do this but I think it would be worth the effort.

My second choice which would be easier is to convert half of the garage. I have a double garage (end on end) so I could convert the bottom of it giving me a space of about 4x3.5 meters. I could easily fit a stud partition wall and the garage would need less sound proofing as it is detached. The down side to this would be walking outside the house to get to it which would prevent the getting up on a Sunday morning and vegging in front of a film in your underwear.

Apart from the structural side of things I will do all the work myself so I will be looking for lots of help with soundproofing etc (talking of which I have been reading a lot from http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/ has anyone used them or know of a cheaper supplier of materials?) and I know I will need a lot of help with the choice of kit I will need to get processor, projector etc.

I am going to speak to a loft conversion company this week to try and get some advice on complying with the regulations and from that point I will be setting myself a budget deciding which option to go for and getting started.

What’s the point of this post?

Just to get people thinking, invite ideas and suggestions and to prime people for the barrage of questions I will be asking.

Thanks for reading this and lets hope it’s the start of a great new year =)

Robbie

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also thought about converting the garage but I did question how you would deal with an insurance company if someone lifted everything from the garage?????

Stace

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garage conversions usually involve walling up the door end so access is from inside only, and if a burglary occured surely you would deal with it in the same manner you would every other insurance claim.
    Robbie I think maybe you are posting too many questions or too general a question for people to response helpfully. No-one can tell you if converting your garage or loft will be easier, only you know everything about your house.
    I think once you've decided on a location for your dedicated room you may get more help with the specifics. Good luck... I wish I had the space.