1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new project : "Floating" AV Rack.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nathsea, Jun 24, 2004.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hi all..

I starting to think about building my AV Rack for my dedicated room!!

It is the worlds smallest dedicated room, it is only 7` wide!! but about 12` long.

Under my screen I would like to build an AV Rack that goes all the way across the room, but sits off the floor and is somehow supported, so as you can see underneath the rack. I have the MDF which I intend to paint probably the same colour as the room(ideas appreciated though!) I would like it to be high enough to fit my standard size HCPC in standing upright , with shelves for xbox , laserdisc, ps2, amp etc.

SO.............

How do I make it look like it is floating above the carpet? could I build the cabinet, screw it to the wall and then put a large piece of 3x2 underneath (hidden) to support it?

All help appreciated etc..

Nathan

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Shelf brackets? They'd only be visible if you got right down to have a look.

3. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    good idea! but would they be able to support the weight of all the MDF and equipment, the shelf is about 2` deep, would a 1` deep bracket support this? I obvioulsy don`t want it falling to the ground!

Nathan

4. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You could do it 'drawbridge style'. I've seen it done before with hi-fi. At each end of the shelf you'd have a supporting wire/chain/etc. which you'd fix to the wall. If these wires were flush to the side walls they'd be very discrete. Only problem would be anchoring them well enough to support all that weight

Mac.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think I found some on Screwfix for Stereo Steve that were rated up to 18kg each. If you used 4 that should be more than enough! The difficulty will be that they do come down quite a long way (fixed to the wall) and that whatever you do will have some strong forces acting on it because of the weight and distance out you're planning to go. Basically, make sure it's attached very firmly to the wall!

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  7. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    eviljonh2 , you are a star!! They look like a very good idea, I will have to measure the clearance underneath - but they look good. Now i`ve just got to work out the plans and construction of the piece!!

Nathan

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Glad to be of help, people have been using shelves effectively for years :)

Bear in mind that you'll be coming out further from the wall than would be normal so you might need to strengthen the "shelf" and certainly consider the leverage that will be incurred.

9. wadge

wadge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why not use a couple of batons on the side walls and rest the rack on top of that? you can use a plinth on the front to hide the batons.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Problem is with supporting it at the ends is it'll flex under the weight. Brackets are the way to go and plenty of them. Consider somehow bolting the MDF to the brackets as well, stronger than screws although MDF is fairly good for screwing (so to speak).

You should find a sonic benefit from getting your stuff up off the floor onto rigid shelfing.