1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New progressive Denon flagship - DVD-9000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MarkB, Jan 18, 2002.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Denon has a new progressive DVD-Video/Audio player on the horizon using 2x 14bit/108Mhz video processors – the DVD-9000 (US name, may be DVD-A1 over here), 1.2Gb per second DVD-Audio digital link (to AVC-A1SR/AVR-5803) but no SACD.

Read about it here
    http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD9000 High Res 12_21.pdf

Mark

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Spot on Mark, DVD-A1 is the UK name of the US DVD-9000. This next bit of info might get you excited if your still interested! Its taken from the SMR International CES 2002 site. It was only posted on the AVS forum three days ago so its not out of date info either.

Although Denon Electronics' upcoming reference progressive scan DVD player, the DVD-9000, is not as yet officially positioned as a universal player, the company claims its feature set will include SACD in addition to DVD-A processing, conditional on reportedly imminent release of final SACD implementation specifications from the format's developers, Sony and Philips. Better yet, Denon intends to support digital outputs for both formats via its proprietary encrypted Denon Digital Link interface to its flagship AVR-5803 receiver. (The equivalent of our upgraded A1SE)

Due on dealer shelves in March at a whopping retail price of $3,500, the DVD-9000 is a true high-end architecture representing Denon's vision of state-of-the-art DVD technology, including 14-bit/108 MHz video DACs and the latest Silicon Image DVD0 504 deinterlacing. The company has also switched to a Matsu****a MPEG decoder to eliminate chroma artifacts. On the audio side, 192/24 DACs insure high-quality analog output, and the player's unusually flexible bass management options allows the user to select crossover points of 40, 80, or 120Hz.

I think this puts it back in the game and straight back to the top of my list! Read for yourself.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2002/sources/page_04.shtml

3. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dang... now I really want this DVDP. :(

Around the cost of US $3500 in the states, we'll get ripped off badly in UK.

DENON states that DVD-9000 will be available in March in America.
    Does anyone know when it is going to be released in UK ??

4. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I think its released everywhere in March. Thats still two months to get SACD in there!

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    It goes straight back to the top of my list as well.

Looks I´ll just have to beg/borrow/steal the extra cash!!

I have a feeling it will be accompanied by a 3 grand price tag.:(

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That's great news Tim – you're one step ahead of me! It's a fabulous player and if it can reproduce SACD, coupled to an upgraded AVC-A1SE you really would have an all singing and all dancing setup.

I originally found a foreign website that stated that the chipset used within the DVD-A1 was capable of decoding multichannel DVD-Audio and multichannel SACD, and the laser pickup configuration used for DVD-Audio is the same as for SACD. As a result it would be very easy for Denon to include this functionality.

I can't wait - although I don't know where the £2,000+ is coming from to pay for it – all I want after that is for Denon to release a gold DAB tuner and I'm well away.

Mark

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think $3500 on DVDP side is too much.

Cuz, it is already known fact that for the best picture quality DVDP, nothing can come par with HTPC. And HTPC is a lot cheaper than this DENON.

Does anyone disagree with this?

BTW, what's that best picture producing chip known to us between Genesis, Silicon Image, Saga and Farudja?