New printer

neilneil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We want to buy a new printer for printing out photos.
I'm looking around abouts the £100-150 mark.
The Epson R300 looks good but it is very discounted now and some places have no stock. Does this mean that it's about to get replaced by a newer model? I think it's over a year old now.

Anyone got any comments about this printer or any further recommendations?

Cheers

Neil

I've got the R200 which is the same printer but without the card reader & LCD screen.

It is old now, and well over a year old, but still an excellent printer. The results of printed photos are IMO excellent and for me these printers have the added advantage of being able to print directly onto 'printable' DVD's & CD's. They take individual ink tanks for each colour that save a fair amount on replacement tanks and www.7dayshop.com are currently doing compatable inks for 99p per tank.
If you want to stick to origional ink then I think it will work out cheaper to get a Canon printer as their ink is about the cheapest going, but you will probably pay more for the printer. I've had a couple of Canon printers in the past and they have all given very good results with photos. I only replaced my last Canon with the R200 because at the time Canon did not do a direct to disc printer.

HTH,
Mark.

Neil Sumner said:
Hi,
We want to buy a new printer for printing out photos.
I'm looking around abouts the £100-150 mark.
The Epson R300 looks good but it is very discounted now and some places have no stock. Does this mean that it's about to get replaced by a newer model? I think it's over a year old now.

Anyone got any comments about this printer or any further recommendations?

Cheers

Neil

the R300 is an old model but it is very good
the new R320 which replaced it is basically the same but with the monitor as standard, if you can get a cheap R300 buy it and put a continuous ink feed system on it, that will slash your ink costs considerably.

I have an R300 which i use for 6x4 5x7 and non critical 10x8 A4
for critical A4,A3,A2 I have an Epson stylus pro 4000.

hope this is of use

Mark

Had my R300 for over a year now and agree it really is a fine printer and handles printable dvd's/cd's very well indeed.

7dayshop are great for Epson Premium photo paper too and the results are stunning using this quality paper

Mark. can I ask where you purchased your continuous ink feed system? At the moment I'm using Datasafe carts from SVP.... 2 sets for under £8.00

Thanks for your replies. :thumbsup:

Is the R320 the 'current' model then?
If so, how old is the R320, and are there any new models waiting for release.
If nothing new and better is just around the corner then I may as well just go for a discounted R300 since I don't think that the monitor is going to add much for me.

-Neil

Hi Neil, I think the R320 came out in May/June this year

I got the monitor for the R300 and to date only used it once, a waste of £30.00 in my case to be honest

I tried to get one of the discounted R300s today and everyone was out of stock except one shop whos price had risen from £99 to £109. Some shops had it cheaper (£89 I think) but said it didn't include ink so you had to buy that as well which would have added £45 if you buy Epson Inks!
In the end I plumped for the R320 at £130 including inks and a small pack of paper.
I've only printed one of my wedding photos so far but at A4 it looks every bit as good as the pro quality prints to me. Very pleased with the results.

Cheers

-Neil :clap:

im considering buying an R300 or an R200 or whatever the new R model is in this price range after throwing my HP at the wall as it was ****ing crap (ohhh i swore, **** happens i guess). gonna get one soon me thinks!

Asda have the R200 for £69.99 I think, as for the extras on the R300 I don't think they are worth it, as its just as easy to plug your camera into a USB port. Also if you don't intend on using Epson ink? sell the ink that comes with it on Ebay as people are paying around £30 for it :suicide: , mad I know, but it doesn't suprise me at all.

owey said:
if you don't intend on using Epson ink? sell the ink that comes with it on Ebay as people are paying around £30 for it :suicide: , mad I know, but it doesn't suprise me at all.

£30 is not mad for 6 new epson cartridges if that is what you want as they retail for around £8.99 upwards each .
I for one would gladly pay £30 if i used epson origionals but i dont.
i use Pantone ColorVantage inks for all my printers, cheaper and better than Epson ink.
Some of the third part ink is very bad , but then again some of it is very good, you have to match the ink to the paper and printer you are using.

ps. a good place for printers
Epson R300 Here
Epson R200 Here
with free delivery

cant be bad

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
HCking said:
£30 is not mad for 6 new epson cartridges if that is what you want as they retail for around £8.99 upwards each .
I for one would gladly pay £30 if i used epson origionals but i dont.
i use Pantone ColorVantage inks for all my printers, cheaper and better than Epson ink.
Some of the third part ink is very bad , but then again some of it is very good, you have to match the ink to the paper and printer you are using.

ps. a good place for printers
Epson R300 Here
Epson R200 Here
with free delivery

cant be bad
You have admited yourself that you don't use Epson ink as you can get better and cheaper ink than Epson ink, thats what I was trying to get over to the poster. If he sold the ink that came with the printer he would be getting a good cheap printer. I use Imjet ink which I pay about £4.00 for six carts and it does me for what I need it for.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom