• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New pricing for Sky Sports.....

metalguru

Established Member
I thought that Sky had to bring the price down for other companies, does this mean Virgin are not passing the cuts on for XL customers?:mad:

t11rmh

Established Member
It seems that there is no incentive for XL customers to buy these packages now as the prices are all the same as before. I ditched Sky Sports last month for the summer as I'll be watching the World Cup on the Beeb and ITV. I ditched Sky Movies last year as the picture quality was rubbish.

I will only subscribe again to Sports and Movies when we get the HD versions - and at no extra cost to what has been published here.

metalguru

Established Member
Well I am totally pi##ed off with it, I have been waiting for the price to drop before I get it but its a rip off.

bamindy

Established Member
XL Customers with V+ will get the HD versions for the same price as the current subscription price.

Why not go with Sky and see what a Sky Sports or movies sub with HD costs you per month!?

Rick

Established Member
XL Customers with V+ will get the HD versions for the same price as the current subscription price.

Why not go with Sky and see what a Sky Sports or movies sub with HD costs you per month!?

when and where have Virgin explicitely stated this or is it some rumour off the Interweb??

muttley1969

Standard Member

Is that a popular speculation, your opinion or can the details and facts be found in any Virgin press release or statement?

If its speculation I would add my opinion that Virgin customers will pay extra for the premium HD channels and the 'free' HD sales pitch will be dropped sooner rather than later.

No one knows this for sure but it may happen.

Stranger things have happened lol

Wad2002

Established Member
Do people seriously think they will have to pay more for the HD stream when paying for sky sports package on VM??...I think not.

Edit...Whilst subscribing to the XL package.

Last edited:
Do people seriously think they will have to pay more for the HD stream when paying for sky sports package on VM??...I think not.

Edit...Whilst subscribing to the XL package.

Like i said, you never know.

They do advertise free HD at the moment which seems to be their selling point against sky so they would be daft to change it.

bamindy

Established Member
It's a combination of facts, logic and a light dusting of opinion! ;)

The reality is that Virgin currently run quite an aggressive campaign selling "Free HD". Now that is not going to be dropped simply to allow them to charge when it suits - they can't legally do that. New customer signs up for free HD, then is told he has to pay?? No way!

It seems fairly obvious, to me at least, that for those not receiving HD to get a discount on the Sky Sports & Movies if the wholesale price has dropped, and that the price remains unchanged for XL customers who will benefit from new HD streams of the same channels. In theory, the price would have dropped, but VM thinking ahead are leaving the price unaltered with a view to stream the HD versions. I sympathise with XL customers who don't have an HD box, as they will lose out.

What would you prefer? As an XL subscriber, a discount on the channels, but then pay an additional tenner for the HD versions :suicide:, or that the price remains the same and you now get the HD versions too? :smashin:

I suppose it doesn't matter what we think or hope for, only time will tell...

Last edited:

McMav

Established Member
Personally you should have the option of Sky sports SD pack or Sky sports HD pack both priced the same and the same with Movies a SD pack and an HD pack.

Dorset Dave

Established Member
I would like to see Sky HD channels free for XL users in the same way Virgin's HD channels are. Yes, I know it won't happen it's just a light-hearted wish on my part and not to be taken seriously.

eaglemmoomin

Prominent Member

I certainly hope so. But I don't really expect it.

eaglemmoomin

Prominent Member

The reality is that Virgin currently run quite an aggressive campaign selling "Free HD". Now that is not going to be dropped simply to allow them to charge when it suits - they can't legally do that. New customer signs up for free HD, then is told he has to pay?? No way!

It seems fairly obvious, to me at least, that for those not receiving HD to get a discount on the Sky Sports & Movies if the wholesale price has dropped, and that the price remains unchanged for XL customers who will benefit from new HD streams of the same channels. In theory, the price would have dropped, but VM thinking ahead are leaving the price unaltered with a view to stream the HD versions. I sympathise with XL customers who don't have an HD box, as they will lose out.

What would you prefer? As an XL subscriber, a discount on the channels, but then pay an additional tenner for the HD versions :suicide:, or that the price remains the same and you now get the HD versions too? :smashin:

Slight fault in the logic is that the Sky HD channels would be considered 'premium' HD channels. XL customers still get the existing bundle of HD channels which is at the level of Freeview HD with additional channels its already pretty generous as it is. However I'm willing to bet the VIP packages will be getting everything for naught, or they will create a mid tier package at the 60-70 mark. Virgin, if they have any business sense will use the extra Sky HD channels to get people to take out bigger bundles. Just giving them away with XL tv packages and maintaining the status quo won't help them. They need all the people pootling around on partial deals and < 35 bundles to resubscribe, lock themselves in for another year at higher subs.

Jagsman411

Standard Member
Slight fault in the logic is that the Sky HD channels would be considered 'premium' HD channels. XL customers still get the existing bundle of HD channels which is at the level of Freeview HD with additional channels its already pretty generous as it is. However I'm willing to bet the VIP packages will be getting everything for naught, or they will create a mid tier package at the 60-70 mark. Virgin, if they have any business sense will use the extra Sky HD channels to get people to take out bigger bundles. Just giving them away with XL tv packages and maintaining the status quo won't help them. They need all the people pootling around on partial deals and < 35 bundles to resubscribe, lock themselves in for another year at higher subs.

How many people will be willing to take out Sky sports and/or Movies just because they would now be HD. The vast majority of Virgin subscribers dont have any of the Sky sports/Movies channels, I would guess that this is because they cant afford them, think there too expensive or just dont want them. I dont think that there would be any that would be refusing to get them because they are not HD.

As for Sky 1, 2, Arts 1, Arts 2 and News, no-one in their right mind would pay extra just to get these channels in HD.

[email protected]

Prominent Member

and thats the problem those people with XL but do not have HD WILL be losing out as are not getting a discount and do not care about HD.

The obvious solution would be to get the discount and have to pay for the HD versions ... but that ruins the "HD Free" tag line, so therefore some people will have to lose out in the price reductions.

nstokes

Prominent Member
on that chartthing it shows ss1 and ss2 is £3 each cheaper a month but the proce for the whole bundle is the same, how? shouldnt £3+£3=£6 off the price?

Sonylids

Standard Member
I understand that the discount already offered to XL users before the new virgin and sky deal, is now the current price. Therefore no change. Does this make sense. If Virgin reduced the XL price they would sell at a loss.

jabintendo

Prominent Member
well the rumors that are going around is that the prices have stayed the same for XL as it will include the hd channels in that price.
This is also the reported reason why the increase in sky sports channels for sky customers. (to drop the hd price)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom