• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New price hike

ShadowmanUK

Another year another price increase. I just hate Sky... dont they get enough money without bleeding us dry?

I took my sub down to the lowest without having to pay the Sky+ recording fee. I'm pretty sure it was £32 a month, they it rose to £34. Now they are hiking it up to £37.

Are there any credible alternatives to Sky+ then? What about Freeview over Satellite can you record with that?

S

STUMANN73

well ive just called sky and told them i want to cancel my account and im going with telly west.

And now they have offered me all channels with multiroom and sky+ for £31 for six month!!

not bad!!!

Nick_UK

Banned
Ahh, does this mean you'll stop posting "fobbed off" complaints now ? ;)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
ShadowmanUK said:
Another year another price increase. I just hate Sky... dont they get enough money without bleeding us dry?

I took my sub down to the lowest without having to pay the Sky+ recording fee. I'm pretty sure it was £32 a month, they it rose to £34. Now they are hiking it up to £37.

Are there any credible alternatives to Sky+ then? What about Freeview over Satellite can you record with that?

NO such thing a too much profit for a commercial company with shareholders especially when inflation would reduce profits if you did not raise prices to compensate.

Now paying for premium channels you do not want to avoid paying the £10 is foolish (not being harsh but it is really) since you can have a MIX selection and pay the tenner which will save you money.

There are a few twin tuner DVR's for Dsat but they are not user friendly for watching Videoguard encrypted channels nor have they the EPG and interactivity which is the cornerstone of SKY.

Freeview is the DTT service and that has plenty of DVR's on the market, a good alternative to FTA/FTV Dsat but only practical you really don't want any of the PAY channels (there is a limited TUTV offering on DTT) and you live in a good coverage area.

If you hate SKY so much then cancel, best scenario the retentions department do you a deal which saves you cash, worse case you save £37 a month:)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
STUMANN73 said:
it certainly will nick cheers for the advice!

So you are paying less for a system that still doesn't work (as you mentioned in other threads) and that is a good thing?

ShadowmanUK

Starburst said:
NO such thing a too much profit for a commercial company with shareholders especially when inflation would reduce profits if you did not raise prices to compensate.

Now paying for premium channels you do not want to avoid paying the £10 is foolish (not being harsh but it is really) since you can have a MIX selection and pay the tenner which will save you money.

There are a few twin tuner DVR's for Dsat but they are not user friendly for watching Videoguard encrypted channels nor have they the EPG and interactivity which is the cornerstone of SKY.

Freeview is the DTT service and that has plenty of DVR's on the market, a good alternative to FTA/FTV Dsat but only practical you really don't want any of the PAY channels (there is a limited TUTV offering on DTT) and you live in a good coverage area.

If you hate SKY so much then cancel, best scenario the retentions department do you a deal which saves you cash, worse case you save £37 a month:)

Yeah but I love the recording facility. Ok so I reckon I can get it down to £28 a month inc the Sky+ fee. I lose the moive mix, but I dont mind as I dont watch movies on Sky anyway.

Malky1903

Phoned Sky this morning to cancel my subs completely and they were doing their very best to keep me. These were the options available to me;

1. Sky Movies or Sky Sports package - £18 odd for 5 months
2. Full Sky package - ½ price for 3 months
3. Full Sky package - 25% off per month for 12 months

After about 15 minutes chatting, the guy I was speaking to nearly had me convinced to stay. In the end I stood my ground and cancelled.

ShadowmanUK

Malabbey said:
Phoned Sky this morning to cancel my subs completely and they were doing their very best to keep me. These were the options available to me;

1. Sky Movies or Sky Sports package - £18 odd for 5 months
2. Full Sky package - ½ price for 3 months
3. Full Sky package - 25% off per month for 12 months

After about 15 minutes chatting, the guy I was speaking to nearly had me convinced to stay. In the end I stood my ground and cancelled.

Yeah thats it.. its always for x months. Its such a rip.

preston

Standard Member
I left recently and went through the pain of having to convince the rep that I realy did want to leave. I got a Topfield freeview PVR in the end and I haven't looked back. I guess I'll feel a bit sorry for myself when the Premiership starts up again but the 40 quid a month in my back pocket will make me feel better.

The Topfield cost me £270 (250GB version) so make sure you cost that in to any move you are tempted to make. There are cheaper PVRs out there but nothing comes closer to Sky+ than the Topfield.

gavan

preston said:
The Topfield cost me £270 (250GB version) so make sure you cost that in to any move you are tempted to make. There are cheaper PVRs out there but nothing comes closer to Sky+ than the Topfield.

The absolute minimum level Sky sub along with Sky+ would be 25 quid per month, so the savings made by ex-subscribers will have paid for the box inside of 11 months at most.

Gav

kamza

Like most people I'm well hacked off with the latest price hike from Sky. Got SKY+ with multiroom and my monthly subscription is going up from £42 to £47.

Seen a few people on this thread phoning up SKY and wanting to cancel and being offered all sorts of deals to stay.

Thought I would try this and see what I got and couldn't believe it when the girl said "OK, you're wishing to cancel your service...I can confirm that your SKY will be turned off on the 27th Aug...is that OK?" Couldn't believe it...no offers to stay, no offers of reduced subscription...absolutely nothing! :blush: Told the girl to leave it for the time being as "there was somebody at the door".

Are SKY getting wise to this or was it just my bad luck?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
zeenokam said:
Like most people I'm well hacked off with the latest price hike from Sky. Got SKY+ with multiroom and my monthly subscription is going up from £42 to £47.

:eek:
Alas some prices go up more as they didn't go up the year before and while the majority are getting a £1 rise some will be getting a much higher rise, £5 is a lot, what package are you on?

Seen a few people on this thread phoning up SKY and wanting to cancel and being offered all sorts of deals to stay.
Thought I would try this and see what I got and couldn't believe it when the girl said "OK, you're wishing to cancel your service...I can confirm that your SKY will be turned off on the 27th Aug...is that OK?" Couldn't believe it...no offers to stay, no offers of reduced subscription...absolutely nothing! :blush: Told the girl to leave it for the time being as "there was somebody at the door".
Are SKY getting wise to this or was it just my bad luck

SKY have a specific budget for funding retentions, this budget is allocated to frontline CS who by their descretion offer deals which is why some people are offered them and others are not.

gavan

zeenokam said:

Are SKY getting wise to this or was it just my bad luck?

Lucky you - most people seem to have to jump through hoops to get them to cancel the sub :devil:

Chances are you got unlucky - they have a specific number of retention deals per month that they are allowed to offer. There are a lot of factors that determine which deal you get, or even if you get one... Including how close it is to the end of the month and how many have already been given out.

Do a google search as there were some pretty good posts either here or digitalspy, where ex-customer reps outlined the best ways to get a deal.

Gav

kamza

Thanks for the replies guys...

Starburst, I'm on the family pack, sports 1&3 and movies 2,4,6,8 & 10. Don't think you can get this package now as I only added on the sports and movies package to prevent paying the extra £10pm SKY+ subscription.

thefair1973

I'm just on the phone to Sky now, complaining about the hike frm £32 to £37 a month. Told her I wanted to cancel and move to NTL and at the first mention of the enemy, she's offered me a 20% discount for 12 months. Asked her what the price would be to go to all channels and it's £34.50 a month. I confirmed that this doesn't tie me in to another 12-month contract and it doesn't. We can cancel at any time. I'm just going to sign up for a few months and see what offers they come up with in the future for SkyHD

gavan

thefair1973 said:
I'm just on the phone to Sky now, complaining about the hike frm £32 to £37 a month. Told her I wanted to cancel and move to NTL and at the first mention of the enemy, she's offered me a 20% discount for 12 months. Asked her what the price would be to go to all channels and it's £34.50 a month. I confirmed that this doesn't tie me in to another 12-month contract and it doesn't. We can cancel at any time. I'm just going to sign up for a few months and see what offers they come up with in the future for SkyHD

Well done - as you have discovered, because there's no real competition to take your custom away, you actually have to threaten to leave them regardless in order for them to cough up a better deal (to get your custom).

Of course it's a pain to have to keep going through this procedure and sooner or later they might not offer a deal. That's why it would be better all around if there was some competition. That would keep the prices down without the consumer having to do a thing. In the meantime, it's up to the viewer to keep fighting for lower prices through cancellation.

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom