New 'practical' car...

MC77

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The time has come for me to change cars, however I'm really struggling to find something to adequately replace my current VW CC I have, biggest problem being that I got a steal with it when I got it two years ago. I paid 13,500 for it, has every option going on it and I like it, however I need something a bit more practical, as I tend to put my bikes either innit or on it and we've got a dog as well now, so need somewhere to 'store' her.

My initial thoughts were Ford Kuga, however I can't seem to find one within my budget that I'd be happy with, must have specs include a built in Sat Nav, heated seats, Bluetooth, parking sensors etc etc. But most of the Kuga's within my price range are either older than 2013 with the kit, or have bottom spec which again I wouldn't be happy with. I presume the prices are high from dealers due to the popularity of them still.

So I'm after recommendations really, I have a budget of around 15 to 17k and would consider anything similar, the SUV style appeals because that's what my wife likes, however she is due a new car in the summer so it's not essential, I'd be happy with an estate car.

On that note, I just had a quick search for the Focus ST estates, which I like the look of, the ST3's come with all the kit I'd like, and I can get a 2013-2014 low mileage example for my budget if anyone has any experience of these?

Any help is appreciated, like I said I'm struggling for ideas, not even looked at cars since I got my CC so I'm a bit out the loop with it all.

Some of small to medium SUVs have about the same boot space as an average hatchback. Take my Audi Q3, the boot is certainly no bigger than an A3 or VW Golf. A tall dog would not be too comfortable in, brilliant for a Cocker Spaniel.

If you roof mount your bikes then SUVs are taller (but there again I'm a short arse) which could make getting them off and on a little more difficult. In your position with your budget I'd be looking at an estate and a Skoda Octavia VRS would be top of my list.

Heated seats.........you big Jessie.:)

In your position with your budget I'd be looking at an estate and a Skoda Octavia VRS would be top of my list.
This. It made sense to me over an SUV or a German estate that cost a lot more.

If getting a petrol st you may be alarmed at fuel costs as they are not the most frugal. I have the diesel Octavia vrs estate and often have my bike in the back but does need the rear seats down unless you remove the wheels. The superb is even bigger in the back. The base vrs does not have the most luxurious spec but the L&K version has everything you could ever want and more.

Some of small to medium SUVs have about the same boot space as an average hatchback. Take my Audi Q3, the boot is certainly no bigger than an A3 or VW Golf. A tall dog would not be too comfortable in, brilliant for a Cocker Spaniel.

If you roof mount your bikes then SUVs are taller (but there again I'm a short arse) which could make getting them off and on a little more difficult. In your position with your budget I'd be looking at an estate and a Skoda Octavia VRS would be top of my list.

Heated seats.........you big Jessie.:)

I'm pretty tall so height isn't so much of an issue. We have a Labradoodle who was the smallest of the bunch so I hope she doesn't get too big! In regards to the heated seats, I leave for my day shifts at 5am and they come into their own in winter, and there's nothing better after 80 or 90 miles on the bike in the sodding rain than getting into some arse warming seats!

If getting a petrol st you may be alarmed at fuel costs as they are not the most frugal. I have the diesel Octavia vrs estate and often have my bike in the back but does need the rear seats down unless you remove the wheels. The superb is even bigger in the back. The base vrs does not have the most luxurious spec but the L&K version has everything you could ever want and more.

Fuel costs aren't much of an issue to be honest, I've never had a 'hot hatch' so it would be a bit of an itch scratched for me as well.

Lots of mentions of the Skoda's, I'll give them a look, think it's just the brand snobbery I've been brought up with that didn't make Skoda's even cross my mind.

Thanks

I have had heated seats on both cloth and leather so it is possible. Whether a manufacturer offers heated cloth seats is another matter. Never used them much on the cloth seats since not really needed. Leather is a slightly different matter.

If anyone really cares I went to look at a few Skoda's and they really didn't float my boat. Even the brand new ones just seemed to be made up of old VW parts, and coming from a CC it seemed like a step backwards and it would of annoyed me.
Found a good example of an ST3 estate with low mileage, and let's just say I paid a lot less than I expected when I started looking. It makes it the cheapest Esate ST3 in the country by a long way.

Thanks for all your help though.

If anyone really cares I went to look at a few Skoda's and they really didn't float my boat. Even the brand new ones just seemed to be made up of old VW parts, and coming from a CC it seemed like a step backwards and it would of annoyed me.

I was going to post the exact same comment about Skoda but didn't want to offend anyone. I'm a fan of the brand as for the money they are great but for a little more per month on pch i went for a BMW.
ST3 is a great car and was on my shortlist but the diesel version was pretty new and there weren't many decent lease deals out there, if buying used I'd consider one again.

ST3 are great cars, however still thirsty average 27mpg, but it's still better then my old ST3 with the five pot, 22mpg.

Picked mine up today and promptly put 300 miles on the clock driving home and then up to Alton Towers for a day out tomorrow. Combined MPG of 37, which isn't so bad, certainly better than expected. Lots to get used do coming from VW after 4 years, can't work out how to tune the DAB radio properly!

However, I'm impressed, and the noise from 7k revs upwards is slightly addictive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom