1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Power Amp for AV32r-bp192

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by liamjf, Feb 2, 2005.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi chaps, I have posted something similar elsewhere but once again I turn to you. Going to sell my Primare stereo and Marantz receiver and get a 5 channel power amp instead. Looking for a lively clean detailed sound with lots of soundstage and thwack!
    Considering Lexicon, Bryston, Krell, Primare (30.5II), Sunfire, Chord, parasound, Bel Canto, Classe but haven't heard any of these. Second hand would stretch my £1500 budget further. Have found these on the net:
    Sunfire cinema grand £850
    Classe CAV150 £1500
    Lexicon 512 £1350
    Any ideas?
    Liam.

2. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you can wait and see the Iag Stock clearout :D don't eliminate the Theta Dreadnaught...

3. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is the TAG likely to be sold off cheaper then?

Liam.

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    FWIW I use a 2nd Krell KAV250a3 3 channel amp for my front 3 speakers (Nautilus 805 sigs and HTM2) and a Rotel RB03 for the rears. In my view, the front 3 are much more imoprtant than the rears, and it is therefore justified to spend much more on the front amplification than for the rear, especially where budget is limited. If you can pick up a quality 3ch amp, and a cheaper 2ch, it may be worthwhile. I've seen a KAV250a3 going for £2k on another forum, with no takers. May be worth putting in an offer.

Otherwise, the usual amplification suspects should be considered but it all depends what becomes available 2nd hand.

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bryston ST matched my TAG processor and SF speakers well, too bright with Krell Processor, now I have BelCanto eVo 6 bridged for the front 3 channels, IMHO it beats the Bryston in all areas...

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Liam

Like Lenny says I'd wait to see if any TAG amps appear in the next few weeks at good prices. You'd also benefit from the TAGTronic link :thumbsup:

From you list I've heard the Bryston, Krell and Chord. I couldn't tell the difference between TAG and Bryston and a fried has a Chord SPM800 (I think) and it sounds good to me, although a lot of people aren't keen on them.

I'm not a fan of the BIG Krells's but the 250 has sounded good any time I've heard it and I like the Intergrated.

It would be good to hear them with your speakers but that isn't always possible.

7. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I may well wait and see if the TAG amps go cheap but does anyone know anything of either the Sunfire Cinema Grand or the Classe CAV150?
    (Classe is nearly twice the price though!)
    Cheers, Liam.
    ps I guess the Belcanto eVo 6 is a bit out of my budget :)

8. romulus

romulus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in my system i am playing with av32r with 192 dacs combined with classé cav 180. I integrated stereo with home cinema and replaced the ca-201 (stereo amplifier) with the CAV -180 (the successor of the CAV 150). Classé amps in general marry very well with b&w speakers and the combination of the analytical tag sound with the more relaxed classé works for me. For your info i paid 2500 € for a second hand cav-180

9. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So this is my (current) shortlist:

Primare 30.5 (around £800 s/h)
    Sunfire Cinema Grand (£850 s/h)
    Classe CAV150 (£1500 s/h)
    Parasound A52 (£1450 new)
    Tag 100x5R (cheap as chips from hifi bitz?)

Any experience of these?
    Thanks, Liam.

10. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Liam, I doubt that you will ever find a Tag 100x5r as cheap as that... If you saw a recente post from Dr.Udo Zucker in another thread, almost for certain, there are no leftovers from Tag in this type of products... they were built almost on demand.

But if you do... gee - nice deal!

M.

11. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    i rang hifiblitz and was told that NO 100x5 or similar will be available at the lower price

And i have the money waiting and ready :smoke:

12. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :mad: So the shortlist gets shorter.... Any opinions on what's left?

13. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liam,

How are you getting on with the AV32 ? I hope it is performing well for you. I still haven't replaced it - took my MC12-B back because I didn't get on with it at all ! So still without any audio whatsoever ! :mad:

Anyway, I just wanted to add 2p's worth which would be that I wouldn't worry too much about the 100x5R dropping of the bottom of the short list. I started back in 2002 with the full DVD32R, AV32R, 100x5R set-up but sold the amp before six months. Didn't like it and found it a very thin sound. Replaced it with a Bryston 9B, which blew it into the weeds. Much more presence. Can't comment on any of your remaining contenders as not heard those particular models.

Good luck with your search.
    Steve.

14. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Steve, The AV32R is working out great now that I have sorted out the sub! (Still need to properly balance the sound levels though - must get an spl meter!) Not too bothered about the 100x5R - I did hear it a couple of years ago when auditioning for integrated amps and wasn't too impressed then either.
    Cheers, Liam.