New Postage Costs

Reaction score
WOW!

I sent 6 items today (RMRD) & they cost me £14.97 to send.

Just last week, they cost under £10. I can't believe that RM have been allowed to hike their prices so much.

:mad:

Depends on the size. For people sending smaller heavy items they will save.

I think it's only fair that size as well as weight is taken into consideration.

I have to defend the royal mail here. After all, if you actually went of and took the items to thier destination them selves , it would cost you a hell of a lot more in petrol and time and effort , wouldnt it?

The Royal Mail has a government imposed monopoly.

Nobody else are allowed by law to compete with them.

Russell_Piper said:
The Royal Mail has a government imposed monopoly.

Nobody else are allowed by law to compete with them.

Does anyone WANT to compete with them, I would say no. I have never heard of a company that would like to compete with RM under the same terms and condition as RM trade under. The rest of the industry want to cherry pick their customers and locations so I say to hell with 'em. :D

Deutsche Post have been lobbying to takeover the exact same contract for the past five years with part of the agreement being to lower the price of all letters to 25p.

Hi,

I'm with Dave-S on this: the Royal Mail introduced this scheme, partly because of the hassle they had with shipping vast quantities of the last "Harry Potter" hardback book, via Amazon and Tesco's online outlets! It makes more sense to me, that something large (but light) like a giant birthday card, or a bunch of helium balloons in a box, should be charged at a lower rate, than a very heavy hardback book.

And, as others have said, see where else you can get service whereby your parcel will be sent relatively quickly at a relatively low price. I'd rather use someone like the Royal Mail than any number of new, fly-by-night companies who think they will ever beat the RM at their own game!

Simply put, like every other British institution, the RM do the best they can, with the resources they have, whilst the Government do everything they can to screw it up (by closing lots of small branches down, and then installing Post Office sections in larger branches of WH Smiths)!

As far as I'm concerned, the Royal Mail are pretty good at what they do, despite their occasional flaws and errors.

Pooch

i wouldnt mind paying higher prices if the items that we send are there on time.

I remember the days when you could send something first class- i.e. a letter, and it got to the destination the next day. Now you could be waiting up to three days for first class to arrive!

Im trying to run a business here!!

PoochJD said:
And, as others have said, see where else you can get service whereby your parcel will be sent relatively quickly at a relatively low price. I'd rather use someone like the Royal Mail than any number of new, fly-by-night companies who think they will ever beat the RM at their own game!

This is my argument. There is a law which says that no other courier company can charge less than £1 for its service. So Royal Mail can do whatever they want and we have to pay because it has no competitors at this level.

Am I the only one who finds the new pricing structure confusing? Can anybody who doesn't work in a post office or mail sorting room at an office tell by sight (and not referring to a guide) what would be the right price for a selection of different sized/weighted letters? It means I'm stuck going to the post office for my first batch of letters I have to send out.

I sent off some A4 forms - 44p isntead of 32p!

:rotfl: Sorry

Imagine the queues there'd be now for bulk sending - the lady today had to weigh and measure my envelope...just kinda tedious

RM are the best but like many other 'national' things it'd be better without it looking for profits. I still grumble the 1st post was removed, so getting a letter after 9am is like getting it a day late anyway

And put a crease in them?! I'm sure there's a name for my ways...

Anyway Russell (If that is your name and I may be so casual), would sending a *small* parcel (say a book or couple of DVDs) be cheaper with RM or with your Parcel Force account? Not that I want to send something. Just curious to know

Slightly off-topic but an article in today's Metro newspaper quoted a MORI report suggesting that postmen may encounter a major increase in "postal rage" from angry customers, as well as incurring a £10 million hit on revenue.

:rolleyes: Customers 'going postal' - where will it end?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom