1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New poll suggestions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mazzymx6, Apr 4, 2005.

1. mazzymx6

mazzymx6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are we able to make suggestions for new (stickied) polls ?

If we are, I would be interested to know the average hours of bulb life people have had from their current PJ

eg 2000hrs on High lamp mode, Projector ceiling mounted
    2000hrs on Low lamp mode, Projector ceiling mounted
    2000hrs on High lamp mode, Projector table mounted
    2000hrs on Low lamp mode, Projector table mounted

etc etc

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The problem is different projectors have entirely different bulb lifes anyway so it would be very hard to compare the situations. If you want to make a suggestion, I reckon the best place is in the 'Forum Notices & Feedback' section of the board.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Perhaps he wants to know what the average service life is in real life - not in manufacturer spec sheets, and perhaps whether ceiling mounting seems to have any effect on the lifespan of the lamp!
    I think you'd have to include the projector model too though!

4. mazzymx6

mazzymx6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, thats what I was looking for MikeK

Just thought it would be interesting for newbies and people who already have PJs to know what kind of financial outlay (ie bulb replacement frequency) many users experience in real life, not a mfgrs lab results

Ive got a sneeking suspision that ceiling mounting your pj will change your bulb life (could be wrong tho)

What sort of bulb life have you guys had ? (whats your pj and was it ceiling / table mounted, and was the bulb on bright or low)

For me the bulb life is the biggest problem with PJ's is their bulb life, if the bulbs were to die every 2000 hours or so (about 1.5 years of tv use for me) I would probably opt for a decent plasma screen.

Is there a difference in lamp life between DLP, 3 bulb DLP and LCD projectors ?

Which type should have the better lamp life ?

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Is there a difference in lamp life between DLP, 3 bulb DLP and LCD projectors ?

Which type should have the better lamp life ?

What's 3-bulb DLP? :) (you may be mixed up with 3-chip DLP - they still use one bulb though)

As to lamp life, the projector technology isn't really that relevant - it's lamp type, run hours, temperature, duty cycle, number of hot starts v cold starts, whether proper cooling off after shutdown practices have been observed, and how the lamp's drive circuit is designed, which really affect it - and even then there is a wide variance between even identical lamps in terms of life.
    (ie you could take two identical lamps, subject them to identical operating conditions, and still find one fails after eg 400hrs and the other goes for eg 3000hrs).
    Philips, for instance, quotes there lamp life in terms of "average number of hours until 50% failure rate" (this is typical in the lighting industry) - in other words, they know full well that 50% of the lamps will fail before 2000hrs, assuming normal (what they mean by this isn't clear) operating conditions, and 50% will last longer than 2000hrs. They also do not publish data on the distribution curve of this failure rate (ie it could mean 50% fail within 100hrs, and 50% fail after 2000, but before 2100 - although obviously that's a worst type case and is unlikely, but such a distribution would still fall within the specified claims of "2000hrs to 50% failure rate"), but I think it's actually a fairly standard deviation (which may be why they don't bother giving out that info)

Then there's economic life - which is the life expectancy of the lamp whilst maintaining performance within specified limits (this is often not quoted, but is often taken to be 60% of the rated life).

All in all then, it's pretty hard to be specific on how long a particular lamp will last in any given projector - what you'd be looking for is trends.
    Also, it does depend on the type of lamp fitted and how it's used - Sim2 for instance quote lives of 6000hrs and more. I don't know offhand how they get this life - it could be the type of lamp used or how it's used in their design (the starter circuit for instance can have a large bearing on the life of lamps), or both etc etc....

6. mazzymx6

mazzymx6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mistake :oops: i was thinking of 3 chip DLPs

what sort of lamp life have you had ?

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most PJ owners don't really use their PJs as TVs (apart from Calibos who uses his for heating & lighting :D ).

The average I would suggest is well under 1000 hours per year. That's 20 hours per week or 10 movies every week :eek: . OK, probably 3/4/5/ movies & some sport, footie etc.

With technology advancing so rapidly in this area & prices dropping, most upgrade long before the lamp needs replacing.

:smoke: