1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player with DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The_kUrGaN, Dec 29, 2003.

1. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I watch loads of DVD's and think it's time to upgrade my existing player. I have bought a couple of DVD audio discs in the past and would therefore like to buy a unit that can cope with DVD A, as well as DVD R/RW and MP3/ JPG etc. Anyone recommend something that preferably won't break the bank? Cheers :smashin:

2. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hiya,

I've just bought the Pioneer 565A player...it'll play both DVD-A and SACD through 6 phonos on the back. I guess your amp supports this format?

www.techtronics.com have it for £199...retail is £250

Cheers,

CliveG

3. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :zonked:
    Ahem....that's something I hadn't considered. So my amp needs to be able to cope with DVD A as well as the DVD player huh?Doh! Is this just a matter of appropriate inputs or actually ability to decode? It's something I haven't seen on the Amp specs in my price range. Is this a pretty common feature or do u really need to search out the amps that can cope with this?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Your amp will not decode the DVD-A (unless you have the latest Pioneer amp & DVD connected via Firewire), that is all done by the DVD player and is then sent to the amp via 6 analogue phono leads.
    To be able to get the best from the DVD-A disks you will therefore need an AV receiver/amp that has a 6 channel analogue input. This is fairly common, but not on all amps.
    If your AV amp does not have these inputs (or you are useing just a stereo HiFi amp) then you can still get a stereo output from the DVD or even Dolby Digital or DTS via coax/optical that will then be decoded by the AV amp. You do not even need a DVD-A player for these formats, but will be missing the best from the disks.

Mark.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Whether stereo or surround is better is a contentious point, but if you are only going to use it in stereo many dvda disc have the stereo mix recorded in an even greater resolution. 192khz as apposed to 5.1 96khz.
    Either way some discs sound great and some sound awful. (and some are even remastered from cd's!!!)

ch

6. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The 565 can also be found a little cheaper at richer sounds or sevenoaks in region 2 form. £174 vs £179 respectively.

But it's easy to upgrade to multi region if you have a learning remote (search the forums for pioneer region free, or PM me for the code).

7. acucobol

acucobol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 530 has dvd-a. have not tried it out myslef yet, but looking for Flaming Lips DVD-A disc to try it out.