New player - Oppo or Denon 1920

NikB

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Panny TH42PHD8 and need a new player to replace my Pioneer 535. I've been looking at the Denon 1920 but have just come across the Oppo which has very similar features for slightly less money. Has anyone compared the 2 and could say if one is better than the other?

They are different types of player. The Denon should be a buy and forget type player you install and use from day one. The Oppo has a large enthusiast following who are actively involved in improving the player by interacting with the manufacturer to bring about improvements in firmware and ultimately the player.

If you want a nice looking piece of AV kit get the Denon. With the Oppo all the money has been spent on the "guts" of the machine designed to extract the very best picture quality out of standard DVDs. Also, as the poster above says, almost uniquely they listen to customers and respond with regular firmware updates which make an already great machine even better...PJ

You could argue, so many firmware updates to date!

bad manufacturing in the first place!!

but what do i care, :rolleyes:

dont look at my sig!!! :rotfl:

bonc said:
You could argue, so many firmware updates to date!

bad manufacturing in the first place!!

but what do i care, :rolleyes:

dont look at my sig!!! :rotfl:

I don't think there's ever been a product released that hasn't got aspects which could be improved. To be clear this product "worked" from day 1, hence "bad manufacturing" is possibly a bit unfair. One of the main issues was lip sync I believe. And I don't think the Oppo was unique in this respect.

I'm sure (if there isn't already) there will be a growing "wishlist" for the 1920 appearing eventually. I'm not that familiar with Denon's so I'm not sure whether they are a company which enthusiastically embraces firmware updates, or like many view customers as "money in the bag" and simply look to future products to solve issues...PJ

I'm pretty sure that Denon doesn't listen to its customers like Oppo does but if both players are on a par I'm more likely to go for the Denon really.

PJTX100 said:
I don't think there's ever been a product released that hasn't got aspects which could be improved. To be clear this product "worked" from day 1, hence "bad manufacturing" is possibly a bit unfair. One of the main issues was lip sync I believe. And I don't think the Oppo was unique in this respect.

I'm sure (if there isn't already) there will be a growing "wishlist" for the 1920 appearing eventually. I'm not that familiar with Denon's so I'm not sure whether they are a company which enthusiastically embraces firmware updates, or like many view customers as "money in the bag" and simply look to future products to solve issues...PJ

But you could argue the case LOL!

the last two lines off my original post sum up my feelings to the Oppo... purely Byast LOL :devil:

p.s on a serious note Denon has supplied firmware updates for the 2910 & 3910 series, so they do listen to their customers when needed - they just dont have to listen to their customers as much as Opppo support do - :D

Hi

I decided to buy the Opp 971 rather than the denon 1920. I had read on this forum a number of complaints from Denon 1920 owners, one particulary annoying regarding the power off switch as far as i can remember.

The oppo also seems to be the projector owners favorite. From what i've read it seems the Oppo will produce a better picture than the Denon at less cost.

Sorry to be so vauge.

Chestnut

bonc said:
But you could argue the case LOL!

I agree, I'm being too magnanimous.

THE OPPO IS BETTER! :D

chestnut said:
Hi

I decided to buy the Opp 971 rather than the denon 1920. I had read on this forum a number of complaints from Denon 1920 owners, one particulary annoying regarding the power off switch as far as i can remember.

The oppo also seems to be the projector owners favorite. From what i've read it seems the Oppo will produce a better picture than the Denon at less cost.

Sorry to be so vauge.

Chestnut

Read those threads again and you may well find your fears were ungrounded. A simple setup adjustment fixed that particular problem. Another 1920 owner came on and posted about other issues and found their display to be the likely culprit. However I honestly doubt your choice either way makes a huge difference from a practical point of view.

Cable Monkey said:
Read those threads again and you may well find your fears were ungrounded. A simple setup adjustment fixed that particular problem. Another 1920 owner came on and posted about other issues and found their display to be the likely culprit. However I honestly doubt your choice either way makes a huge difference from a practical point of view.

Go Monkey! - LOL

p.s I was the original cuplrit complaining re stop/start resume - all fixed now though!

Cable Monkey

Sorry for the misleading info. So many post so little time :)

Chestnut

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom