1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Plasma setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Kirk, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I am just begining to put together my first home cinema kit (finally upgrading from my Panasonic Dolby Prologic 28" TV) .

I am looking at getting a Philips 32PF9964 32" Plasma Screen with a Denon AVR-3802 Amp.

I will (at first) continue to use my Panasonic A160 DVD player that I currently have and will be connecting up my Pace Sky Digibox.

Where I am completly lost though, is on the speakers. I truly don't know which way to turn. I do not want to spend more than £1000 on a complete 5.1 speaker package, however getting closer to £500-600 would suit me better so that I can spend more on the interconnects.

The living room size is approximately 20' x 17'.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to good packages or speaker combinations that would lend themselves to the above equipment? I know speakers are purly a personal taste, but I know that some speakers sound horrible on certain kit and great on others.........

Many thanks for any input to me boggle!! :)

2. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Mission FS2's , flat speakers which I think are great, but you either love them or hate them. If you like a more traditional sound and don't want to lose your living room to huge boxes check out the KEF eggs which would fall into your price bracket and are pretty damn good. Both are system solutions that come with 5 speakers and a sub.

3. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ahhhhh an interesting idea! :D I must admit I had thought about NXT stylee speakers but have never seen (or heard) them in person.

What are they like for a reasonable size room? i.e. the size I am thinking of setting up a AV system in?

As an approximation....how long is the wiring supplied with those speakers? I understand that all wiring goes back to the Sub and then the sub to the amp? is that right?

hmmmm |I like the idea of them tho. I also see in the back cover of this months HCC that Mission have a new FS 1 set of NXT's. Nothing about them on their website though ::(

4. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just posted a poll in the speaker forum to try and get an understanding on which people generally consider to be the better speaker package between the KEF eggs and the Mission FS2's.

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like people like the Mission FS2's with the Denon 3802!

I think a trip off to my local agent and Demo the FS2's and the Eggs to be sure, but I am biaased now towards the FS2's!

Thanks everyone for your help

6. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  7. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent, thank you!

8. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    How's your Panasonic A160 performing on your plasma?

I have this player from new and it's a quality item picture and sound wise, I notice it's better or as good as any new players I've seen perform. I know it doesn't have an RGB output unlike the A360, but I can't notice what RGB really does comparing my Toshiba RGB player.

Why do enthusiasts say replace it cos it a few years old, or the first thing you need to do is get rid of your outdated player.

If it's as good as what's around for £150 at the minute and it looks okay (and it's a DVD player, not VHS) it's crazy to go out on expense just to say you have the latest model!?

I'd love the Panasonic 42PW6 (BLACK) PLASMA and I'd like to think me A160 would do it justice, vice versa!

9. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Glenzo,

Yeah, the Panny sure was a top notch DVD player, infact when I stopped using it, I gave it to my sister along with my Panny 28" Widescreen TV and they are both going strong.

The immediate reason I replaced the A160 with my Plasma, was dow to connections, Scart connection was just not available and S-Video doesnt cut the mustard for DVD playback on Plasma.

I went through a numbe of dvd plasyers before settling on my current Arcam DV-89 and have to say, you get what you pay for in the Plasma world. Spend the money on some quality cable and sources, you WILL see the difference.

Keep the A160 connected to a normal TV, it really is a good player. But when you upgrade to Plasma, you must find a good Progressive Scan DVD player with either Component or HDMI outputs.

Hope that helps,

Kirk

10. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers Kirk,

I reckon I might go for the Denon 1910 when I do get me Plasma