1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New plasma + Scaler advice please ...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by HCman, Jun 4, 2005.

1. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

I have a loewe Planus but sadly the tube is dead. :(

I have been very happy with the loewe picture and looked for a loewe replacement, the Articos comes in at over £2K and is only 32" so I have been thinking of upgrading to a larger screen, unfortunately loewe doesn't do a screen over 32" anymore and with HDTV just around the corner, I started looking at plasma, LCD and Rear projection.

After spending many hours reading on AVForums and viewing several sets, I have come to the conclusion that plasma is the most acceptable picture to me.

On my shortlist are the Panasonic TH-42PV500CAB and the Pioneer PDP435FD

I mainly watch Sky+ and DVD's

So my questions are:

* What is the best set to go for? (I am opened to suggestions but do not like the PQ of Rear Projection Sets)

* If I was to buy the Panasonic would my center speaker be OK (MK S-125C) on the top shelf of the stand, or is there a stand I could use to position it above the set?

* If I went for one of the plasmas, bearing in mind most of my viewing will be Sky+ & DVD's, is it worth adding a scaler to the setup (is there a highly noticeable improvement?) and which one should I go for?

Any advice or suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

HCman

2. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the Panny PV500, not only because it´s newer than the Pio. It´s also clearly better. Black levels on the Panny are very good and also the picture detail is stunning.

As for the scaler, I would recommend getting at least a scaler for the DVDPlayer. (Maybe a mid-range DVDPlayer that has an internal Scaler like the Denon Players) - I´ve just today compared DVD picture quality with and without Scaling... the difference is really HUGE.

3. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Many thanks k0rn, your comments are much appreciated! :smashin:

HCman

4. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Korn
    Your statement means that the pv500's scaler sucks.
    Is it really outperformed by a midrange dvd player?
    If that s truth, then the pv500's upscaling cababilities isn 't that good.

5. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Also K0rn, would you be kind enough to post the make & model of the scaler you tested? Many thanks. :)

6. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me tell you a little bit more about my testing:

first I tested with HDMI input through my PC. (HD material at 720P and 1080i), Resolution was set to 720P. The picture quality with HD is just breathtaking.

Then I went over to test the PV500 with my own DVD Player which I brought with me. (Sony 730P). This player has a YUV-Component output, so I figured that the DVD picture would be just as good as it was on my Sony FQ80 CRT. But it clearly wasn´t. The Test DVD i picked was "The Matrix" because it´s clearly one of the worst DVDs out there. (picture quality-wise :D ) - the picture was VERY grainy, even more than the original. It was not comparable to my existing Sony CRT, when it came to DVD. I was a little disappointed.

But then the dealer offered to set up the Denon 1910 (a 250€ player) that has HDMI and an internal scaler that outputs pictures at 720P or 1080i. We set it to 720P and played the Matrix DVD. The difference was easily noticable. The Picture quality with the external scaler (within the Denon player) was more like HD than like DVD and of course way better than the pq with my Sony player. (which was really awful, actually)

So, to sum it up, I bought the Denon Player on top of the PV500 and I´m very happy that I`ll have excellent DVD pq as well. Without the external scaler, it wouldn´t really make much sense IMO.

Only question mark here is if my Sony DVDplayer was really that bad. I always felt that it was VERY good with my Sony CRT. :confused:

PS: I also did check out normal cable (not digital!) and it was OK considering the poor input. I`m curious how the PV500 will perform with my digital Satellite feed. (which will be PAL only without scaling)