new plasma run in dvds?

A

ak57

is it recommended to watch dvd's on a new plasma for the first 200 hours? i have a hitachi 7200. anything else i should watch out for? thanks

stay away from fixt logos like MTV-SKY1-CBBTV and computer games ie XBOX-PLAYSTATION ect.just untill you have let the screen settle in.dvds should be ok .IMO.

I think there is an opportunity for some enterprising company to release a "Running in DVD." Just scrolling bands of different colours would do.

Mick

I played xbox and watched what I wanted from day 1 . Was I paranoid , yes , but whats the point in shelling out for a TV and not using it for what you want to watch . Turn the Contrast/ brightness down , as low as you think is reasonable , and recalibrate after 200 hours or so . Theres a big hitachi thread about , start up settings will be in there somewhere for the 7200 .

Enjoy your new TV
atb
John

yes,any plasma benefits from the use of dvds as they act as atype of refreshing agent[shall we say],never use the screen wipe unless in dire need of screen burn wipage[is wipage a word}.

From my reply above , you can probably guess I don't think its necessary . However , if you do want to do it , I would sugest the following .

1 Make sure its a 16:9 film , not 2.35:1 .
2 Use the chapter repeat facility of your DVD player ( if you intend on leaving it unattended )
3 CGI of some kind , lots of vibrant colours

John

Just for the record...

I watched a lot of DVDs in 2.35:1 (as most Hollywood films are) in the first month of getting the Pan 42PV500 set on 'normal' with no 'after effects'.
In the same month I also watched all 3 LOTR ext eds (2.35:1 @ approx 11hrs) over 3 consequtive nights, again no problems.

I'm not sure that black horizontal bars effects it in the same way as say a bight static logo would.

is there any way to get rid of the black lines at the top and bottom when watching 2:351 dvds? i'm sure i have lots of dvd's in this format and don't wanna ruin my screen in the first week. seriously, whats the point in having a plasma if you can't use it without breaking it

ak57 said:
is there any way to get rid of the black lines at the top and bottom when watching 2:351 dvds? i'm sure i have lots of dvd's in this format and don't wanna ruin my screen in the first week. seriously, whats the point in having a plasma if you can't use it without breaking it

You shouldn't if you lower the settings enough . And you don't want to use the stretch to "fill" the screen :lesson: ;) . Look through the big hitachi thread , see what other settings people have used when their screens arrived , try 'em , if your happy watch it for a couple of weeks then re calibrate again .
Enjoy it , I've had mine 2 years , not had no sign screen burn . And thats with upteen hours of Cbebies , cbbc , Sky ( Paused for 20 minutes ) etc etc , Xbox and all ratios of wide screen DVD's

thanks, that's really put my mind at ease. is there anything else i need to know before i hook it up? i'm connecting to sky digital and a dvd player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom