New Plasma run in - discuss.

scoobydoo99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Discuss:D

Just received my 42" PX70, nowt in the manual about settings for running in the screen - is this just 'emperors clothes' ?

Nowt in the manual about this and I'm sure that Panasonic know a damn sight more about Plasma TV's than most on this site.

It's a JL set with 5 years warranty so provided I follow the installation instructions - if it goes wrong, it goes back.

p.s. nice PQ on the PX70 - straight out the box with a £2.99 scart to my cheap DVD player:rolleyes:

There will also be a disclaimer in the manual pertaining to retention and burn in. If you do get screen burn, they may refuse to exchange it.

Run it at normal settings if you like but you may regret it.

I've heard of run in times being stated as roughly 200 hours. However, if the alternative is permanent sreen burn its definitely worth it. Perhaps you would have been better off buying an lcd.

Discuss:D

Just received my 42" PX70, nowt in the manual about settings for running in the screen - is this just 'emperors clothes' ?

Nowt in the manual about this and I'm sure that Panasonic know a damn sight more about Plasma TV's than most on this site.

It's a JL set with 5 years warranty so provided I follow the installation instructions - if it goes wrong, it goes back.

p.s. nice PQ on the PX70 - straight out the box with a £2.99 scart to my cheap DVD player:rolleyes:

Just got a new Pioneer PDP-427XD and am not running it in (although contrast is down on defaults, just because I prefer it that way). Been watching a lot of TV recently and have absolutely no retention/burn in. IMHO running these new plasmas in is a total waste of time, and is frankly ridiculous. Enjoy your new TV straight out of the box as you wish.

There will also be a disclaimer in the manual pertaining to retention and burn in. If you do get screen burn, they may refuse to exchange it.

Run it at normal settings if you like but you may regret it.

Right, let's pretend I have no knowledge of the AV Forums and all the 'experts' that offer free advice on here.

I walk into John Lewis, buy the set, have it delivered, set it up as per the instruction manual, switch it on and watch it.

You're telling me that because I didn't follow an instruction I know nothing of then it could be construed by JL in a warranty claim that it's my fault - explain this one to me please.

Right, let's pretend I have no knowledge of the AV Forums and all the 'experts' that offer free advice on here.

I walk into John Lewis, buy the set, have it delivered, set it up as per the instruction manual, switch it on and watch it.

You're telling me that because I didn't follow an instruction I know nothing of then it could be construed by JL in a warranty claim that it's my fault - explain this one to me please.

i think that the opinion is that running the plasma at low settings for the first few hundred hours will prevent screen burn and the such later on.(so you can be a bit more free in the way you use the tv)

so if you follow the run in you should have fewer problems.

any claim for screenburn should not be covered as the warranty excludes it

and if you follow the instructions in your book(no logos no still images no 4.3 images you shouldnt have problems)thats the way they would look at it.

Because the manual will have a disclaimer in it about displaying static images on the screen.

From the manual of your very own screen:-

Do not display a still image for a long time.
This causes the image to remain on the plasma screen (image retention).
This is not considered a malfunction and is not covered by the warranty.

Link here on page 5.

You are supposed to read the manual and take note of this. Because they have told you in the manual not to display still images, you would be very lucky indeed to get the screen replaced should burn in occur. Especially seeing as they point out that it is not covered by the warranty.

There are literaly thousands of posts on here where people have experienced burn in and retention. Plasma's are very susceptible to this in the first few hundred hours of use hence the advice to run them in on low settings.

Naturally you can choose to ignore the advice and the manual but good luck getting it replaced should the worst happen.

i think that the opinion is that running the plasma at low settings for the first few hundred hours will prevent screen burn and the such later on.(so you can be a bit more free in the way you use the tv)

so if you follow the run in you should have fewer problems.

any claim for screenburn should not be covered as the warranty excludes it

and if you follow the instructions in your book(no logos no still images no 4.3 images you shouldnt have problems)thats the way they would look at it.

thats not really an option though when you have Sky and every TV channel has the logo in the top..... so whats the answer??

thats not really an option though when you have Sky and every TV channel has the logo in the top..... so whats the answer??

i know its not an option i am just going off what it says in my tv book.

so if i followed what was written in the book i shouldnt get screen burn(in reality i cant do this)but they are covered as they have told me not to do this.so if i made a claim saying the mtv logo is burnt into my tv they would state that you shouldnt have had a logo on the tv as it tells you not to.

Plasma's are very susceptible to this in the first few hundred hours of use hence the advice to run them in on low settings.
QUOTE]

If it's such an issue why don't Panasonic suggest running in? they build the damn things, if there's a recognised problem wouldn't it be easier on manufacturers and retailers to give advice rather than deal with expensive warranty claims - whether successful or not?

If it's such an issue why don't Panasonic suggest running in? they build the damn things, if there's a recognised problem wouldn't it be easier on manufacturers and retailers to give advice rather than deal with expensive warranty claims - whether successful or not?

Because it's obviously bad for business, effectively telling people their nice new screen might get a nasty burn. Not to mention that if you don't display a static image as per the instructions then you won't have any problems.

Unfortunately with many people using their plasma for gaming and channels with dogs (digital on screen graphics) it's not always practical to do this but the manufacturers have covered their backside by telling you not to display static images.

Running the plasma in properly will greatly reduce the chance of burn in when gaming or watching channels with dogs, the only alternative is to not display static images, period.

maybe a silly question but do the tellys have a run-in setting already pre-programmed for us to select or do we need to manually adjust parameters?

If the latter, do the forums have run-in settings for the models we buy or is it a general subjective approach?

Cheers

Because it's obviously bad for business, effectively telling people their nice new screen might get a nasty burn. Not to mention that if you don't display a static image as per the instructions then you won't have any problems.

They already bring people's attention to the issue, and DO mention it in the manual. So why not just provide a run in setting if it would help ease the issue?

They already bring people's attention to the issue, and DO mention it in the manual. So why not just provide a run in setting if it would help ease the issue?

Because if you follow the instuctions and don't display static images, there is no issue.

It's only when you display static images that it becomes an issue.

maybe a silly question but do the tellys have a run-in setting already pre-programmed for us to select or do we need to manually adjust parameters?

If the latter, do the forums have run-in settings for the models we buy or is it a general subjective approach?

Cheers

afaik manufacturers dont have pre-programmed run-in settings. IMO they certainly should have.

I reckon if you have a tv and you are then subject to various restrictions which hinder usage of the product but which you are not explictily made clear of then you should have a viable case in court should screen burn happen. A lot of channels have a static image in one corner of the screen. Shouldnt have to find work-arounds for this. I was flicking through sky the other day and most channels have it :(

Tv isnt fit for purpose if you cant watch it as it was intended and a judge would come down on your side should you wish to take it all the way to court.

Dont know of any cases where consumers have sued the manufacturer because of screen burn.

Mind you, i will be "running in" my plasma when i get it :D

Because if you follow the instuctions and don't display static images, there is no issue.

It's only when you display static images that it becomes an issue.

Thats vague though. Does it say how long you can display static images for? e.g. 2 seconds 10 seconds 60 seconds? Or can you not display them at all? A lot of channels have static images in them. I'll check sky when i get home and see how many.

Thats vague though. Does it say how long you can display static images for? e.g. 2 seconds 10 seconds 60 seconds? Or can you not display them at all? A lot of channels have static images in them. I'll check sky when i get home and see how many.

I agree that it's vague, it's more than likely intentional. Legally the wording of the manual is perfect, it covers them for pretty much any amount of time before screen burn sets in.

I'm not defending the manufacturers because IMO they should let consumers know about running the panels in if they display static images but they have legally protected themselves with the disclaimer.

Nearly every channel except for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 have a dog. Why I don't know, the broadcasters state that the viewer needs to know what channel they are watching.:confused:

There are various campaigns to get rid of them but it's not very likely.

Nothing preset by the manufacturers.
All you do is turn off any image enhancements, and knock the brightness and contrast down to about half of their default level.
Keep the panel on Normal or Cinema, but off Dynamic for the break-in period.

Lastly, this is no more different than if you buy a brand new car - you have a break-in procedure to make the engine last as long as possible.
So, if you've already accepted this as must be done, then just do the same for the Plasma TVs.
After 200 hours, just like the car, you can redline it as often as you want since the risk of damage has been reduced sufficiently.

So, where's the problem again?

As an aside, I think scoobydoo99 just got out of the grumpy side of the bed this morning.

Unfortunately with many people using their plasma for gaming and channels with dogs (digital on screen graphics) it's not always practical to do this but the manufacturers have covered their backside by telling you not to display static images.

Running the plasma in properly will greatly reduce the chance of burn in when gaming or watching channels with dogs, the only alternative is to not display static images, period.

I will go for a 32" Panny LCD then...........................:(

I agree with CJ90000 ~ if put to the test ~ I doub't if a court of equity would acknowledge the manufacturer's attempt to insert a clause which in practice is not feasible.

I will go for a 32" Panny LCD then...........................:(

:rotfl:

IMO the only advantages LCD's offer over plasma is price and no screen burn.

I realise it's subjective and some people prefer LCD but I'd much rather watch a plasma than an LCD, even with the risk of screen burn.

I'm an avid gamer and spend hours playing away with static images on the screen. I ran it in properly and have never even had retention let alone burn in. If you're aware of the dangers and take care then retention really isn't a problem.

I agree with CJ90000 ~ if put to the test ~ I doub't if a court of equity would acknowledge the manufacturer's attempt to insert a clause which in practice is not feasible.

I agree but there aren't many people with the resources available to take on panasonic or pioneer in the courts.

The solution to the problem is broadcasters getting rid of those bloody dogs and games developers making any static images as see through as possible.

It's not going to happen but we can always wish eh.

How many times is this going to come up!!

If you set the screen up for a decent image staright out the box you will be fine.
if you think your screen looks fine with the thing in Dynamic mode and the contrast whacked right up then you may as well by an LCD as that is how the picture looks on them after calibration.
LCD's at the moment are nothing short of *****!!
I know, I have owned a couple and still have one now, but only cause I wanted a 26" for the kitchen, I wouldn't want to use it as my main screen!

Cinema mode
contrast at 50%
Brightness at 50%
Colour 50%
sharpness 50%

In fact stick everything in the middle and screen buen is not an issue, and you will have a half decent picture.

Looks at the Pioneers 2 years ago for problems, look at the Hitachi ALiS screens for problems, look st the NEC screens for problems, the Panasonic does not have issues with screen burn, simple as that!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom