1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new plasma owners beware of PPPS !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gnikolaidis, Sep 14, 2005.

1. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PPPS (post plasma purchase syndrome) is an acute disorder of the human nervous system, recently identified by the world medical community as the most threatening factor to the psychological well-being of contemporary men. PPPS usually develops a couple of weeks later after your “precious” arrives at home, when you are past the setup excitement phase and you are now ready for some serious TV watching action.

Various seemingly innocent factors contribute collectively to the build up of the disease, like (and not necessary in order of importance):

1. A week later after your purchase, and after spending three months surfing the web to find the best possible deal on the planet, you discover that the price of the set you just bought has dropped by a few hundred pounds.

2. Adding insult to injury, you also discover that the brand new model you just bought has been already replaced with a new one that has a built-in digital tuner and an HDMI input.

3. Having already gone seriously overboard with your initial budget limits, like unnecessary indulging into buying these overpriced connection cables (I only want the best for my “precious” kind of thing), you return one day from work only to find the wife is redecorating the living room because the new plasma does not “color-match” the rest of the furniture.

4. The redecoration exercise, besides the fact that it will drug you down a few hundred or thousand additional pounds, it seriously has a deterrent effect on you mental status since the “guilt syndrome”, originating from the purchase of your new expensive toy and masterfully cultivated and enlarged by the second half, prevents you from arguing against unreasonable raised demands and comments, like: (a) we have to buy a new sofa since the new remote control does not match the fabric, (b) I have to get new drapes to match the color of the speakers, (c) I have to buy a new dress, I have nothing to wear when your friends drop in to admire your “precious”, (d) do we really have to look all day long to these ugly things (the speakers) next to the TV set?, (e) I warn you that if do not do anything about these wires running along the floor I will move the whole set to the basement, (f) We need to buy a larger house, this one is too small for your “precious”.

5. When the initial “wow” excitement about “how really great these colors look on this plasma screen” fades away, you catch yourself looking at the old CRT set in the kids playroom, and having the feeling that the picture looks better than your “precious”.

6. A few weeks later you catch yourself watching the football match on the old CRT, since your “precious” has a slight problem in displaying fast moving objects without induced fuzziness.

7. In order to justify the unreasonable markup you just paid for your “precious” to be “HD Ready”, and given the sparse availability of HD material, you catch yourself watching with great excitement BBC documentaries filmed in HD format about the premenstrual behavior of the South African cockroach.

8. A month later, and due to the fact that a regular 4:3 ratio image has to be extrapolated to your “precious” 16:9 screen ratio, you are starting to believe that all women on the planet are short-bodied and fat. You wife suddenly looks like Angelina Jolie!

9. A few months later of watching short-bodied fat women on your 16:9 screen, and since by now you seriously believe that your wife is Angelina Jolie, you find you spend more bed time with her than with your “precious”.

10. At about that time, you find that your “precious” collects more dust than initially envisioned, and the guilty feeling of betraying your “precious” starts to develop. You discover you are forcing yourself to watch a TV program, only to justify the cost of your investment (let alone all other parallel costs induced as above).

Do you have any of the above symptoms? Then my friends you are really suffering from PPPS! The cure? There is only one cure that is guaranteed to solve the problem, at least temporarily: Buy yourself a new better plasma!

2. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Brilliant! :rotfl:

3. boez

boez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Brilliant! Nearly split my first coffee of the day all over the keyboard!

4. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nice one :smashin: This will put a smile on my face everytime I think of your post. Top man :cool:

5. Fifer

Fifer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, excellent post :)

6. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Very witty! Could this be the new Terry Pratchett? :rotfl: :rotfl: :D
    I was thinking thread should be called "Post Panasonic Purchase Syndrome", then I read your kit list - thousand apologies. ;)

Ironically our SKY box had to be replaced to match the new colour scheme - all silver instead of the old black box. And a new all grey stand too!
    It never stops.
    Then there'll be the must have cable upgrades, and the new SKY PLUS, and possibly a DVD recorder...
    One aspect of PPPS you missed is, "Isn't the screen looking a bit small now, should've gone for the larger model..." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kit list:
    Hitachi 42pd7500 plasma
    Panasonic S97 player
    JVC SVHS VCR
    Pace DS430N Satellite box

7. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Reading that is very funny, i only wish it wasnt so true.

8. don-tucker

don-tucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That sums it up,I thought I had written it.
    Don

9. big_marcelo

big_marcelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long live 4:3 CRT!!! :)

10. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awaiting my panny 42pe50 - is there anything i can do to prevent PPPS?

Perhaps turn off all forms of communication and live in denial that technology hasn't moved on PLUS throw out the £99 beko CRT which could aid a comparison :D

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    great one mate, really enjoyed reading that...all too true!

12. wrightyred

wrightyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got to say that has made me smile after the two weeks of wondering if I have bought the right plasma. BRILLIANT........... :thumbsup:

wrightyred

13. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yep. The 20" monitor I bought for my PC was huge, now I think the 24" would not have been quite good, except in the wallet department

14. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Post of the year ! :thumbsup: :D :D :D :thumbsup:

15. athina

athina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well put...

16. maxl

maxl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am in cold turkey and I haven't even got one yet :suicide:

17. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm awaiting a bit of cash from a will
    but i feel all these things coming to get me
    Well it is Haloween !!!!

18. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    made my night and made me think even more about purchasing!!!!!!

19. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Great......you could almost remove Plasma and insert :

Car
    Bike
    Amp
    PC
    Digi Cam